Anyone name a subwoofer that in all aspects and is 100x better then Jl W7

I'n fairly giving jl w6 w7 sq credibility and still able to get low and shake down the block. I've always wondered what brands out there now Even elite branded subs like morel hertz subwoofer just smoke a w7 In the sense of what we know about w7 capabilitys .

But gotta be a sub that don't even need opinions to justify. One that has crazy sq factors and spl and is versatile with sealed or ported.

It's always like ya throw jl in sealed for sq itl get super loud amd differentiate all types of instrumental sounds .But they're must be an Elite category sub that is beyond even jl . Not even talking like sundown or dc audio.

What's the best of the best that proven to put out the sq and spl matched with a top tier Amp.

I've heard Fi neo is close or even better.

Crazy as this seems but I heard the 90s w6 subs in a sealed box

Only 3 12s in a truck bed not even a blow thru just single cab with camper shell and it was so F**** loud you could feel it slapping in your chest and throat from 6 blocks away not even have to be in the vehicle.At the time it seemed super ridiculous and illegal

Not sure if this had to do with a purposefully exterior sound set up .

I don't think any bass was meant for the cab .But the guy put some dbs outside for sure only on 3 w6 and a ppi pc21400.

Totally impressed to no end with the literal bass travel it put out.

Last edited by a moderator:
i no jl fan because of prices., they aren't the loudest subs but i don't know who would say another sub is even 5x better at sq and spl than a w7.. maybe someone will..

The sub thats in the best optimum SQ designed enclosure based off power, ts parameters, vehicle acoustics/cabin gain and listening goals.

A flea market sub in a proper box and install can and will destroy a w7 in a weak install.

Most of the times people that ask this type of question do not truely understand how proper subwoofer installs and enclosure designs are meant to be. I'd suggest reading vance dicken's loud speaker cookbook to expand your horizons first.

Also loud from far away and outside the vehicle is obnoxious along with wasting a lot of energy bleeding out. Setups nowadays focus on keeping all the sound energy inside the cabin to build up actual spl. You dont want anything escaping unless its if you crack an opposite window while demoing.

Crazy as this seems but I heard the 90s w6 subs in a sealed box Only 3 12s in a truck bed not even a blow thru just single cab with camper shell and it was so F**** loud you could feel it slapping in your chest and throat from 6 blocks away not even have to be in the vehicle. But the guy put some dbs outside for sure only on 3 w6 and a ppi pc21400.
I hear you, I had 3 of those as well as 3 of the 15W6 drivers. Everything you're saying may sound exaggerated to some but it's true. Efficiency was the reason for that performance. Light coils, tight gaps and softer suspensions. Those W6 drivers were only rated for 300w rms because they didn't need any more than that to get down. I ran my trios sealed on various Soundstream, Orion and Pheonix Gold amps and it was always the same story, loud and clean. You just couldn't get enough of it.
Drivers are different now and power is cheap. Drivers are less efficient but they can way outstrip the W6 & W7 drivers, and by a lot. But they need that big power to do it and they don't usually sound good at lower levels because of the stiff suspensions. It's a trade-off, you just need to decide what kind of listener you are. Do you want to go HAM every song or do you want to get kinda loud once in a while?

Lots and lots of good subs out there just figure out where you fit in and go from there.

Glad you recall such a great driver . To me they were a rare breed ,and yea with my Colorado build which now that the interiors are done I've already done my bed to cab blow thru with accordian boot .

I'm all about replicating the w6 quality them subs put out .

Which is why I'm learning and researching just about everything to do with Jl audio and why it does or can or just don't compare quite to the old jl drivers 15 yrs ago.

If I can find a sub driver of that era in today's times that closely match I'm I'm all in. No I don't intend to go ham but I want that clean quality and be able to get down if I choose too.

I haven't even begun to box build or subwoofer shop because I don't care for jl price tags and I don't wanna just spend 1000s on subs and be disappointed . If I can find a modern driver that can put out exactly what I've seen from the old school and what you as well have seen and remember id be down for it . This is why I'm getting opinions.

I think the sa sundowns are decent sq subs even though many consider them more of a spl and for 600rms they can be beat to death and still produce good. They in my opinion closely mimic the old w6. What would you suggest ?

Incriminate audio flatlyne 12 with the shredder upgrade is about as close as I know to totally wiping the no 12w7

I'm betting the fi q neo will do the same.

Jl audio has great product but it's just too high priced. I only run the 13tw5-3 because I got a pair used for 350ish. And id still run a pair of stereo integrity bm mkiv 12s over them if given the chance

Glad you recall such a great driver . To me they were a rare breed ,and yea with my Colorado build which now that the interiors are done I've already done my bed to cab blow thru with accordian boot .I'm all about replicating the w6 quality them subs put out .

Which is why I'm learning and researching just about everything to do with Jl audio and why it does or can or just don't compare quite to the old jl drivers 15 yrs ago.

If I can find a sub driver of that era in today's times that closely match I'm I'm all in. No I don't intend to go ham but I want that clean quality and be able to get down if I choose too.

I haven't even begun to box build or subwoofer shop because I don't care for jl price tags and I don't wanna just spend 1000s on subs and be disappointed . If I can find a modern driver that can put out exactly what I've seen from the old school and what you as well have seen and remember id be down for it . This is why I'm getting opinions.

I think the sa sundowns are decent sq subs even though many consider them more of a spl and for 600rms they can be beat to death and still produce good. They in my opinion closely mimic the old w6. What would you suggest ?
dayton HO subs are as close you can get to a w6 for very very cheap. if you want something playing deeper, dayton ultimax would be the go to sub.

Take a look at most vendors' entry level lines, they have 2" or 2.5" coils and lower power requirements. Find one that has a lower Fs and this should ensure the suspension is on the softer side. Efficiency will likely be pretty good but with that comes the need for a bit more airspace for the drivers to work properly.

Really, that's they way to get "old school" loud. Go with a big enclosure and low powered subs. Efficient subs and a big efficient enclsoures just sound so good, lol. Low power keeps you away from thermal issues as well.

Anyhow, good luck.

To compare in terms of build quality, sound quality, the focus of interchangeable box designs, loud spl, etc..

This is the definition you were projecting, yes?

IF so, i'd welcome you to start trying FB Audio.

All driver lines from 400 - 3000wrms (the 5000wrms N52 is reserved for ported/6th order only) are suited for all types of driver alignments.

They are engineered with a neutral EBP to ensure your install is not hindered by our driver choices.

Also, their build quality is very strict and not cheap.

Every soft part is custom manufactured by themselves and most drivers, even the 400wrms drivers, use pure carbon fiber cones and dustcaps.

Another crucial point FB Audio attacks is weight. Their drivers weigh a lot less than others in the same power range.

FB Audio 1600w driver- 34lbs

FB Audio 3000w driver- 51lbs

FB Audio 5000w driver- 64lbs

Our enclosure tests show they do well in small or large enclosures.

We tested a pair of 15" 1600w drivers from 4.4 cuft net to 9.5cuft net (total) and the results are great.

Even in 9.5cuft, we were able to effectively dig down to 16hz on modified music with authority. So much, it kept sending our sundown test amp into thermal protect as they kept begging for more power.

FB Audio has only been around for 3 years yet already holds several World Records in DbDrag.

We chose to do business with them as we were tired of all the "remake" subwoofers being sold using the same soft parts, etc.

We are glad we made the choice.

FB Audio has only been around for 3 years yet already holds several World Records in DbDrag.

We chose to do business with them as we were tired of all the "remake" subwoofers being sold using the same soft parts, etc.

We are glad we made the choice.
Will they have an official USA website?

100x ? no 10x ? no 2x ? nah. **** just hasn't advanced that much. To give any credence to any of these claims you would have to have a shootout where the drivers are in the same environment and same enclosure and if any driver could give the same output, same bandwidth on half the wattage with no distortion from either driver, then i would concur that it is 2x better. but that will never happen.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.