Anyone have experience with Grand Cherokee installs?

Participant count
  • Participant list

BMG
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
here
Mainly, how did you run the power wire through the firewall?

I have a 5.2L and the **** engine blocks most every decent view of the firewall from the engine compartment. The only boot i found to hijack on the inside was the **** brake so im not even going to mess around with that even if i could see where it came out on the engine side. And i dont wanna just go drilling test holes either, i'd lke to get it first shot. So if anyone has any experience with Grand Cherokee installs, more specifically one of the V8s(i imagine the 6 cylinder has a lot more room under the hood), it would be appreciated if you could help me out so i can get it done quicker.

Mainly, how did you run the power wire through the firewall?
I have a 5.2L and the **** engine blocks most every decent view of the firewall from the engine compartment. The only boot i found to hijack on the inside was the **** brake so im not even going to mess around with that even if i could see where it came out on the engine side. And i dont wanna just go drilling test holes either, i'd lke to get it first shot. So if anyone has any experience with Grand Cherokee installs, more specifically one of the V8s(i imagine the 6 cylinder has a lot more room under the hood), it would be appreciated if you could help me out so i can get it done quicker.
I dont have any personal experience with GCs but I have found that in 99% of the cars Ive done installs for, everything from Jettas, Civics, Wranglers, Landcruisers, Outbacks etc, all have had some type of small rubber grommet between the engine and front dash. Its usually right on the firewall somewhere on the sides of the engine panels...Get some good lighting in there, and maybe clean it off if you need to, and look for a rubber piece that looks like it comes out, it usually does. And run your power wire right through there. Good luck!

I have done several. As long as the battery is on the passenger side, which i am 99 % sure it is, you can pull out the kick panel, and drill a hole on the firewall low, and about six to eight inches to the left. Be careful, and that should help ya out.

no boots or grommets to go through cept the brake that are within view inside. And the battery is on the passenger side, but there may be one thing you're forgetting. So are all the fuses for the vehicle, right in that kick panel. There's a huge tangle of wires and such on the passenger side.

I had a neighbor/friend helpin me for about 20 min and finally i just said screw it. Im gonna use the easy way out and just run it along underneath the vehicle until the back wheel well where i found a spot just before the well i can drill into and it comes right out underneath the back seats(which fold out of the way so its that much easier) and then i only have to hide it when it comes out the back of the seats. I figure the hardest part now about the power cable will be finding the right silicone or whichever to use to protect the wire on the underside of the vehicle. I figure some high temp resistant stuff should work well. Only downside is most likely ill lose the wire for future vehicles/installs.

Thanks tho guys, i appreciate the time

Yeah - Thats actually what i ended up doing for MY car...Theres a small hole in the shotgun side seat floor, so i have about 4-5 feet of exposed wire on the outside. Make sure you get some protective skin or tubing for your wires, the road wears on them hardcore. And if you do any off roading, make doubly sure that your wire wont get caught on anything.

Good luck!

I just completed an install on my gf's Grand Cherokee. I pulled up the carpet and **** on passenger side floor. I drilled like two inches right of the wheel well, pretty low to run some 4awg...this was looking from the engine bay. Worked great, no problems at all. NOW, good luck with running RCA's and ****...behind the CDplayer...there's plastic housing enclosing the entire console...i drilled a fukkin whole through that plastic **** also to run my 3 sets of RCA's and remote wire. It ****** behind there...peace

NG

Yeah - Thats actually what i ended up doing for MY car...Theres a small hole in the shotgun side seat floor, so i have about 4-5 feet of exposed wire on the outside. Make sure you get some protective skin or tubing for your wires, the road wears on them hardcore. And if you do any off roading, make doubly sure that your wire wont get caught on anything.
Good luck!

Got some PVC pipe for the most of the exposure, im still hunting for a good silicone or paint on type stuff to cover the rest of the exposed wire.

and behind the deck was actually where i had the least problems hehe, just a matter of snaking in a tight spot, which wasnt too bad. I knicked the back of my hand a few times and swore thats about it.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.