Anybody actually use/hear a VGW-12?

Kr0wN

Alright guys, I have 3 Soundstream VGW-12s and Soundstream recommends a sealed enclosure ranging from .6 to .8cu. ft. I've tried three different shaped enclosures now with specs as close as possible but the subs just don't sound good at all. They don't get low enough and I personally feel they are extending way too far at way too low of a power level. If you try to actually turn the volume up and really get these these things going they distort sooo bad and it just seems to me it's because the box is too small. They are a SQ sub, so I can't imagine they should distort so easily at such low volumes.

Anybody out there with some experience with these particular subs that can chime in and give me some advice on what to do? Bigger box? I have an upgraded electrical system. I'm using a Soundstream RUB1.2500D.

I just want these things to thump already //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/banghead.gif.8606515f668c74f6de0281deb475b6fd.gif

Subwoofer Specs -

• MAX POWER (WATTS): 1200

• RMS POWER (WATTS) : 600

• VOICE COIL DIAMETERS (INCHES) : 2.5

• MAGNET WEIGHT (Oz.) : 120

• FREQ. RESPONSE (Hz) : 22 - 1.2k

• Fs (Hz) : 29.0

• Qes: 0.474

• Qms: 8.032

• Qts: 0.448

• Vas (Ft3) : 1.81/48.49 liters

• Xmax (INCHES) 0.649

• SPL (dB) : 87

• HOLE SIZE (INCHES) : 11.25

• WOOFER DEPTH (INCHES) : 5.9

• RECOMMENDED ENCLOSURE (Ft3) : 0.6/0.8

• RECOMMENDED ENCLOSURE TYPE : Sealed

i would just put all 3 in a 3 cube box and see how that goes if u havent already......how much clearence do u have at the bottom of the sub? what about ur gains and bass boost?

Have them divided or all 3 sharing the same air space? I've adjusted the gain plenty and prefer not to use much of the bass boost if any at all so I haven't really turned that up, but I feel that'd only make it worse anyway. I don't think there's much/enough room between the magnets and the walls of these enclosures because they're too small. I've tried angled and straight boxes... I guess I just don't want to put these in a box too far off from the recommendations and just make the matter worse.

Mostly rock with some hip-hop/rap. I've had enclosures that were sealed that got low enough for my tastes before, but if ported is really the way to go how do I determine the box specs?

Try 1.75-2cu/ft per sub with either 4 4inch round ports or 2 6in round ports or a slot port with 75sq/in of surface area and tuned to 33hz. It will be pretty big in size but you should get a very nice bump in the response curve from upper 20's hz to mid 60s which is nice for hip hop and rock.

My VGW-10 sounded fine in a .6 cu/ft box. I was feeding it 950rms and it handled it like a champ. Never got too low, but you can't expect that from a small sealed box.

Alright, so when I had the single 12'' in the 1.5 cubed box it made a terrible "clacking" sound at really high volume. It didn't do this in the small boxes, so I'm assuming the 1.5 is too big for it? I didn't know the difference between 1.25 and 1.5 would be so crucial...

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.