Any real world experience with any of these subs?

Participant count
  • Participant list

LsGuy

Manila Gorilla
Ohio
Hey guys, trying to pick out a sub for a new build I'll be doing later this year in a C4 corvette. Obviously tiny cab, I want to push as much sq as possible. The subs I'm looking at are as follows:

Alpine WX-10D4
Infinity Kappa 1000w
Pioneer TS-Z10LS4

At first I was concerned that the alpine would be too power hungry for my goals, but everywhere I'm looking says it's a sq subwoofer. Does anybody have any experience with them?

How much power are you looking at and will this setup be sealed box or ported box ?
Power is pretty open. I'll be running a mechman alt ~260-400 amp range. I prefer not to run a second battery, though it isn't out of the question entirely. My power also needs to support ~1k rms for the front stage. Big 3 will be performed.

I was originally going to run ported, but the combination of an exceptionally small cab, and usable trunk space plus the fact that I was sq as much as possible is leaning me more towards a sealed box (which I understand is taboo).

I'll be running a mechman alt ~260-400 amp range. I prefer not to run a second battery, though it isn't out of the question entirely. My power also needs to support ~1k rms for the front stage. Big 3 will be performed.
Jesus that's alot of alternator power for a daily setup. There's absoultely no way you'd need a 2nd battery for what your running (the alts your eyeballing are for like 3-5000 watt RMS setups).
I was originally going to run ported, but the combination of an exceptionally small cab, and usable trunk space plus the fact that I was sq as much as possible is leaning me more towards a sealed box (which I understand is taboo).
If your really going to spend that much money on electrical upgrades then I would do ported and do fairly decent RMS on the subs. Of the 3 you listed the X-W10 ported on 750-1000 watts would be nice

Jesus that's alot of alternator power for a daily setup. There's absoultely no way you'd need a 2nd battery for what your running (the alts your eyeballing are for like 3-5000 watt RMS setups).
If your really going to spend that much money on electrical upgrades then I would do ported and do fairly decent RMS on the subs. Of the 3 you listed the X-W10 ported on 750-1000 watts would be nice
So this will be a 2 sub setup, why would you run ported specifically?

The alts aren't really that much money when you look at the big picture. Every 80-100 amps puts like $100 onto the price tag. Also, if you think about it, running the alpine setup, 1k watts per sub plus 1k for the front stage lands me at 3k rms.

I too was considering the alpine as top choice, but wondered if the others were a consideration for price reasons.

Alpine setup is currently in my cart on Crutchfield for $5500. I'm OK with that, but wanted other opinions.

So this will be a 2 sub setup, why would you run ported specifically?
Your original post made it seem like you where only doing a 1 sub setup (dual was never specified and you mentioned you have very little space) so ported with a single setup would of helped you keep up with your front stage that you said you where giving lots of power too

Alpine setup is currently in my cart on Crutchfield for $5500. I'm OK with that, but wanted other opinions.
$5500 ? Are you referring to the actual X series (X-W10D4) or R-W/SWS ? There's no such things as a WX-10D4

Your original post made it seem like you where only doing a 1 sub setup (dual was never specified and you mentioned you have very little space) so ported with a single setup would of helped you keep up with your front stage that you said you where giving lots of power too

$5500 ? Are you referring to the actual X series or R-W/SWS ?
Full X series, 3 way front stage plus 2 subs, 4 X series amps, alpine PXE dsp plus ILX-207.

Full X series, 3 way front stage plus 2 subs, 4 X series amps, alpine PXE dsp plus ILX-207.
With you running true power (thanks to the alternator) along with having the DSP then you really can't wrong with any mid tier sub choice to be honest. I've heard both the X and Kappa and there both great for a daily setup

With you running true power (thanks to the alternator) along with having the DSP then you really can't wrong with any mid tier sub choice to be honest. I've heard both the X and Kappa and there both great for a daily setup
Awesome, appreciate that input. The issues I'm debating between for those two, is that the kappa subs/kappa perfect 3 way and kappa amp setup would be cheaper. I could do it on 3 amps vs 4 for the alpine, infinity doesn't make a dsp, so I could run a cheaper dsp and hide it somewhere, the subs can be had for around $100 each. My worries are that the subs handle half of the power vs the alpine, and infinity does not make a head unit, which opens me up to better options than the alpine, but it also will not match.

I know this isn't something often done around this forum, but this will be a show quality build. Interior is junk, ripping it all out. Full sound and thermal insulation, new carpets, new seats, full custom build out in the hatch. All speakers, subs and amps will be displayed, and can all be seen from inside of the cabin (hatch). This is why I am knowingly overpaying for some aspects of the system. Electrical is also from 1992. If I'm replacing it all anyway, might as well go big. New paint etc. Full rebuild.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.