Annoying "rustling" Noise from Tweeters

Participant count
  • Participant list

Smaxor5
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Hey Guys,

Normally I like to figure this kind of stuff out on my own but I'm pretty stumped.

Problem:

Ive noticed that whenever multiple instruments are played at the same time there is a small electronic "crunch" sound. I guess the best way to describe it is it almost sounds like mini morse code. As if I can almost here the current shorting out or something....its super annoying. Also, when there are no RCAs plugged in it is worth noting that there is a small "crackling" noise ...it is a different noise though and isn't very loud at all. You have to literally press the tweeter against your ear to hear it and it is stronger on the left side.

Ideas:

1. Crossovers are defective: In my last install i put them in the car doors and there wasnt a good seal so they got very wet...maybe there is some rust damaging them

2. Amp is defective: Bought this used a while back so it could be defective

3. Tweeters are blown: I REALLY hope it isnt this since they are Boston Acoustics Pro 60 tweeters and are an absolute ***** to find. It's worth noting that they can hit every high note no problem and sound fantastic with techno....its during metal or "grungy" guitar riff that you hear it the most...is that a clue

4. Bad speaker/ground wire?

What I've Tried:

1. Sanded the crap out of my ground, literally no paint there whatsoever

2. Did the big 3 upgrade with 4 gauge wire (yeah shouldve used 0...whatever my system isnt that large watts wise)

3. Turned off low pass filter on the amp

If you guys have any ideas or troubleshooting tips that would be fantastic! Thanks in advance!

I'm gonna try swapping the tweeters and rcas when I get back from work. Does anyone know of a good, well produced "test track" I can use?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.