And another of one of the most posted threads on this forum.

Participant count
  • Participant list

Crown

Earth
Hey guys, new to the forum, and kinda new to car audio. I'm gonna try (and probably fail) to keep this short. Basically, '87 crown vic, new system. Doing one set of components (woofers in doors, tweeters in dash), new H/U, and hopefully sub(s) and an amp. My main concern is the speakers, I was looking to drop $3-400 for the set. Fell in love with the Hertz components at a shop, but they were also $700. Really liked the Focals they had (access 6 1/2") though they felt a little thin and a bit too bright. The hertz I'm pretty sure were either the HSK 165's or the EV 165's. Also, loved the hertz ES 300 12" in a sealed box, like I really can't find anything I didn't like about the sound on any of the tracks I sent thru it. I mainly listen to jazzy hip-hop, but also a lot of rock/punk. Right now I'm thinking running a multi-channel amp to power the components and a sub (or two) but more than willing for input on that and everything else. As far as subs go, probably 2 in the trunk, definitely in a sealed box. Biggest concern with the subs is that they hit clean. Not really sure on a price range for the subs, but they will be going in a custom box when I end up picking them up. Pretty much the only thing I have to go on for subs is the focal 12's I listened to just felt weak, the hertz were beautiful, and I liked how hard a couple alpine type-R 12's hit in a ported box, but way, way too muddy for me.

I'd like to say thank you for any help I get and apologize for any incoherence in advance, it's almost 3 a.m. at this point.

Have you listened to any Rainbow sets? CDT? or Morel? They make some good speakers from the reviews I read through.

Looked into CDT and rainbow online but haven't had a chance to listen to either yet. Haven't heard of Morel but I'll look into it. I've only hit a few shops in the area with my own CD to test out speakers but I plan on hitting pretty much every one I can.

Yes, Hertz can be a tad pricey, but I also enjoy the HSK line. I've been having an internal battle on whether to trade out my Focal Polyglass 165VB's for them, but not yet.

As far as subs, Hertz makes a good product, but you can find exactly what you want elsewhere, for less. IDQ's are very popular on here for being able to be extremely well rounded and sound very pleasant and should handle anything you'd want musically.

Personally, I've had success with the SSA Dcons. They do anything and everything I ask of them. It's all in the install //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

As the sig says, feel free to PM me with any questions.

It's all in the install //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
Ya know, that's what I've had all of ONE shop tell me, which is the shop that as far as I've seen does the best work around here, and had the cheapest install rates, ha. Talked the guy there for 'bout an hour on everything car audio related, seems like he's probably my best option. Oddly enough he also seemed to have the smallest ego.

EDIT: As for the subs, just took a look at the IDQ's and the SSA's, and spec-wise they're at least in the same league with what else I've been looking at, and the SSA's are way out in front in terms of price.

Yeah, many people working on local shops aren't the most knowledgeable about things outside of what they've been told. However, some are great people and genius at what they do. Just depends on your luck.

Many people come to these forums, find out what they need to do, then get a shop (or themselves) to do it.

The Dcons surprised me. They have good potential and a very appetizing price tag. I've used two for my fall/winter install this year and I have many more compliments than insults.

Let me know if you need any help modeling things up, etc.

Thanks again for all the help Goalie, at this point I'm almost certain I'm gonna go with the Dcons. Now just gotta figure out which components to go with, and sort out the amp setup. I've been thinking about the components a bit more and I'm thinking because the tweets are basically gonna be bouncing off my windshield, any that sound harsh under normal circumstances are probably gonna make my ear drums bleed.

I would look into Image Dynamics for all components of your audio system. They are decently priced, fantastic customer service, extremely musical equipment, handle decent amounts of power.... I can't say anything bad about their products of that company.

I have listened to a few properly installed sets of rainbow, DIY systems, and focal, Image Dynamics just takes the cake for me. It will depend on your install no matter what equipment you wind up with.

Thanks again for all the help Goalie, at this point I'm almost certain I'm gonna go with the Dcons. Now just gotta figure out which components to go with, and sort out the amp setup. I've been thinking about the components a bit more and I'm thinking because the tweets are basically gonna be bouncing off my windshield, any that sound harsh under normal circumstances are probably gonna make my ear drums bleed.
I would be hesitant around anything with metal tweets, such as the Focals.

As far as the Dcons are concerned, they favor ported applications. 1.25cubes each tuned 28-34 (up to your preferences) and you should be very happy with the in-car response. I won't classify them as SQ, but they work well with every genre and blend with ease. I also appreciate their ability to reproduce frequencies in the 60-100hz range. Helps those people who struggle to achieve those frequencies from their mids.

I would look into Image Dynamics for all components of your audio system. They are decently priced, fantastic customer service, extremely musical equipment, handle decent amounts of power.... I can't say anything bad about their products of that company.
I have listened to a few properly installed sets of rainbow, DIY systems, and focal, Image Dynamics just takes the cake for me. It will depend on your install no matter what equipment you wind up with.
I will agree that IDQ's work superbly in many sealed applications. They are hard to beat in that regard. Their component sets are also far from shabby.

Again, thanks to both of you for the input. Turns out there's actually a dealer for ID relatively close so I'm gonna go check 'em out in person.

Also, I'm not sure this would work, but would it even be worth considering getting a 3-way component set doing the tweets in the dash, mids in front doors, and lows in the rear deck? I think I might run into an issue with the lows being so far back as I've got a lot of cabin space.

I would try to keep everything in front of you as far as components go. Definitely go have a listen to ID, their cx mids are fantastic and will eat up the power you throw at them. If you want to spend more money and get their top of the line stuff, more power to ya! I have a 12" IDmaxv3d2 in the smallest recomended sealed enclosure with about 150rms. It gets plenty loud for me hints why i havent gone ported, blends perfectly with my cx comps, and gives a very very flat response.

Well, hit the new shop, turns out they had image dynamics and morels, both of which sounded brilliant. At this point I'll be going with The Morel Tempo or Dotech Ovation or the ID CX's or XS's. Right now I'm actually leaning towards doing the XS's or Dotech's and holding off on the subs for now.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.