Amp suggestions needed

cypressjeff

So, I play mostly Bluegrass and Blues with a little bit of everything else except pure thumping tunes. The equipment will be going in my work truck, a 2001 GMC Sierra extra cab. There is no need for back speakers because the only thing riding back there is tools and my dogs.

I ordered a Punch 600x 4 over six weeks ago and it never showed up so I cancelled the order today. It's time to get this project moving. I will be deadening the doors and I am upgrading the Big 3.

Head Unit -- Pioneer AVH-1330NEX

Front Speakers -- 2 Rockford Fosgate P16-S component speakers 4ohm

1 rear 8" sub - Kicker Comp series that is about 6 years old. 4ohm

Should I stick with the Punch 600x 4 or order something else?

I have a couple of options for you.

1. Zapco ST-4D. Probably a little less expensive than the Punch you cancelled, but will give you more headroom and the more headroom you have, the better off you will be.

2. Arc Audio X2 600.4. Arc just started shipping this series of amps. Probably will be more expensive than that Punch, but will tons more headroom. This would be my choice, if you have the funds.

So, I play mostly Bluegrass and Blues with a little bit of everything else except pure thumping tunes. The equipment will be going in my work truck, a 2001 GMC Sierra extra cab. There is no need for back speakers because the only thing riding back there is tools and my dogs.
I ordered a Punch 600x 4 over six weeks ago and it never showed up so I cancelled the order today. It's time to get this project moving. I will be deadening the doors and I am upgrading the Big 3.

i'd replace the kicker man, wasn't good when it was new..

i'd replace the kicker man, wasn't good when it was new..
Depends what kicker model. Some of those little kicker free air woofer are nice little woofers. Ur prly just running your face flaps talking about shlt you don’t know gramps

Where are you located at in Louisiana?

I know there are some big names in Car Audio that love Rockford stuff, so I'm sure it's good...but $450 for 75x4 @4 ohm is not a great deal. Remember that if two amps have the same THD, same signal-to-noise, and the same rated power, then they're going to sound the same (although some people will tell you otherwise). Just make sure you're buying from a brand that you trust to tell you the honest ratings - look for CEA approvals.

I know there are some big names in Car Audio that love Rockford stuff, so I'm sure it's good...but $450 for 75x4 @4 ohm is not a great deal. Remember that if two amps have the same THD, same signal-to-noise, and the same rated power, then they're going to sound the same (although some people will tell you otherwise). Just make sure you're buying from a brand that you trust to tell you the honest ratings - look for CEA approvals.
A lot of amps still lie on specs

Depends what kicker model. Some of those little kicker free air woofer are nice little woofers. Ur prly just running your face flaps talking about shlt you don’t know gramps
shocks me how many peeps like comps (i had 4 12's just bought to play 2 weeks and sell) can't believe ya'll defend a 150-200rms sub that blows easily but dont like pioneer subs that will kill a comp..

That's why I said to look for CEA approval.
hifonics brx amps were cea certified. On the amp dyno they were overrated as fk and highly inefficient at lower ohm ratings. Only did about 2/3s its rated power. You have other non CEA certified amps that completely sh*t on most of the CEA certified amps as well

Only true test you care about are the amp dynos and efficiency tests.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.