Amp problems

daniel199260

hi guys

im running a powervox amp in my car, runs well for about 30 minute then it starts to cut out, a little red light next to the power light that says PRO above it pops up and all speakers connected to the amp cut out for about 3 seconds then come back on, and it keeps doing it every 10-15 seconds, i thought it might be overheating but it stops happening when i turn the car off and leave the amp and music turned on, then i turn the car on and it starts happening again, ive tryed reconecting everything and made sure i have a solid connection with everything and ive tryed having more ventilation around the amo but it keeps happening.

any help would be appreciated, thanks.

what speakers are you running, how are they wired?

Sounds like you have them wired at an OHM level lower than the amp is stable at.

I have never heard of that brand but I also have never heard of the place you live either...

Yeah it is a dodgy eBay amp, supposedly 5600WATTS but I don't believe that, it is a 4 channel amp and I am running 2 450W BOSS speakers and a 800W kenwood sub, I have also tryed only having the sub connected and tryed connecting only 1 450W speaker for that excact reason but same thing happens. And I am from Geelong, Australia, VIC

Dudiferus,

That is definitely not a 5600w amplifier. Look at the fuse rating: 2 x 20A? Be happy if it's supplying around 55w per channel, though that's still enough to run many entry level 6.5 speakers. It won't run it for long however, Chinese built models such as Powervox tend to short themselves out at the first opportunity and six months equates to having lived a good life for such an amp.

An intermittent signal such as yours usually indicates leaking capacitors, so assuming you still don't want to pay more than $60-$70 for your next amp, I suggest going to the pawn shop and picking up a used amp that is branded with a CEA rating. I'm not sure if such certifications are given in Australia but here are US examples:

Alpine

Blaupunkt

Clarion

Eclipse

Infinity

JBL

JL Audio

Kenwood

Kicker

MTX

Pioneer

Rockford Fosgate

Sony

I would keep the gold terminals from the Powervox in case your next amp is not gold. Online you can order brand new budget price speakers for Alpine as well as Sony to match a HQ amp.

You've been informed my negro.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.