Amp plays when igniton is on, but not when started?

Participant count
  • Participant list

snoop3111
10+ year member

So heres the deal,

I just installed a pair of infinity kappas with a boston audio 2ch amp. Everything is brand new out of the box. I have an aftermarket Kenwood HU, Kinetik HC2000 in my trunk. I have the battery in the trunk wired + to + with 250 amp fueses, Knu OFC 1/0 on either end of the power wire and - to - to the battery up front. Off the battery in the rear I have a distribution block with a 1/0 in and im using a 4 gauge out with a 150 amp fuse that leads into the amplifier. The amp is grounded with 4 gauge wire to the battery in the trunk. The remote wire is from the blue remote wire in the back of the HU.

The problem is when I just have my igniton on without the car started, the HU turns on, the red power light for the amp comes on, I get the inital pop sound, and works and sounds great, but as soon and I turn over the engine, the orange protect light comes on and nothing plays at all and no pop sounds from the speakers. The HU is still on and plays. What the hell is causing this? I have checked the speaker connections over again, the power and ground wire, the fuses and everything is all soild.

Also if your wondering why I have a an HC2000 for a little 2 channel is because the sub stage will be going in after this problem is fixed.

Any and all help is welcome. This is driving me crazy!

I had an amp do this to me about 15 years ago. Never did find the exact issue. I can only guess that there is some sort of defect in the protection circuit of the amp that is prematurely tripping the over voltage protection. Do you have another amp you can swap in to see if the problem persist?

its not much of a pop, its just a tiny little click. I ment the speakers pop. No strange sounds come from the amplifier. This makes me wonder about the sonix blow out deals....Its a BA GT275. Also they are nice thick stinger RCAs

Well, the pop can come from a fast turn on where the ignition voltage is instantly 12v and not a little slow climbing.

Do you not have a DMM? Test your voltages at your power, ground, ignition.

Well I have a stinger volt meter and last night when everything was off it sat at 13v, once i turned on the igniton it only went to 12.6. With engine on and idleing it sat at 13.3-13.6v I dont really see my voltage in the 14's to much. I have a misfire in my engine right now that Im fixing but I doubt that would cause this? I guess ill be testing all my wires. Will post the results this afternoon.

Switch your amp turn on wire for the blue wire to a diffrent wire in the back of the deck that is a switching 12v. Hell you could even run it to your igition harness if you wanted to.

When I get home I will first try running my remote into the power wire. If that was the problem I will hook it up to a 12v constant and use a switch. If that doesn't work I will check everything with a dmm and triple check the connections

Also forgot to mention that the vehicle is an 01 Ford Taurus SE

So the remote was not the problem, the amp acutally stopped working and just had the protect light on all the time, after fiddling around again the went out and does not even turn on anymore, no power or protect. This is a huge pain in the ***. I hope the warranty pulls though.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.