Amp Input Troubleshooting

Participant count
  • Participant list

22mountaineer
10+ year member

6 /\
North AL
Long time no see (old guys), hello (new guys). Have an issue, not going to make any excuses, bottom line, I dont have a way to further test it and this is all I could come up with with the time at hand. If I need to look more I can try, but even doing this was pretty difficult (finding someone with the equipment). Basically nothing will come out unless I use the Green Circled Jacks. The speaker side is not labeled, however, in case it is relevant they were plugged into the left side. And the (L Input) RCA is the common point to get it to work. As far as equipment used to test, don't know much about it, I know he started having issues with his amp going into protect a few minutes after it was playing though. Tells me its all good, his amp is just overheating, could be wrong though.

A pic is worth a thousand words, you can barely see the lines but they are (green) horizontal and diagonal (red) vertical. Inputs on left, outputs on right. Circle on right is where I had the speakers hooked up. When the RCA's were hooked up in the green circle jacks, everything worked, not as loud as I would expect, but they worked. Obviously, red circles, didnt work like it should.

Any thoughts, if so, why(personal gain)? Thanks a ton

Yes it is. The left side top and bottom are the inputs, the right side top and bottom are outputs.

Going to try and make this as short as possible and more concise.

It works when-

RCA1 connected to Input L and RCA2 connected to Output L

or

RCA1 connected to Input L and RCA2 connected to Output R

Doesn't work when-

RCA1 connected to Input L and RCA2 connected to Input R

^^ yep or try swap the left side of the rca for the right (still the same fault? try a diff rca cable) very weird hope the amps not stuffed.

I swapped the RCA's around and the same thing happened (that was my first thought), and it doesnt work with just one in. I am just curious to why it works at all with it like it is.. The RCA side of the amps have always been confusing to me as far as getting in depth.. Is it as simple as the "outside ring" and the "inside ******" on the plug is just a positive and negative signal or is there more to it (if so, why on class d/sub amps do you have L and R inputs?)? And why are the outputs even working, arent they there to just carry on the 2-10v preout signal from the radio? Could they possibly be giving it some type of continuity to make it complete?

Just wanting to throw some of these questions out there in case anyone else reads, see the way I am looking at things and maybe even if you cant point, you can inform on some of the questions. This is rattling my brain, and Im the type of person that I want to know EVERYTHING how it works, why, why not, blah blah. Especially with this type stuff. I am going to do some research and dig a little big and Ill be back. Thanks guys!

geez bud, sounds like a dicky amp.

yes your understanding on rcas is correct..... they have left and right rca inputs on d-class for running stereo instead of mono, some amps even have a switch that you can change it from mono to stereo (god I hope it's not something simple like that)

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.