amp has less power after raising gain??

Participant count
  • Participant list

xoch1
10+ year member

iowa
I was messing with the gain on my sub amp with a dmm tool. I realize some people dont like to use a dmm for setting gain but i was just curious what mine was doing. Anyway, at 3/4 gain I get 35.9 on dmm. Now my amp is supposed to be rated 360 at 4 ohm. so according to the formula i come up with 37.94 So does this mean my amp is not doing what its rated for? And also more importantly, if i turn the gain up past 3/4 it drops to like 32-33 so does that mean that 3/4 is right at its peak before clipping? I have 2 12 inch planet audio supposedly rated 180 each. I dont hear any distortion no matter where it is set.

The drop in voltage coming out of the amp is probably the clipping circuit limiting the output so things don't break.

You'll need voltage, current and real-world impedance measurement in order to calculate power output.

Ah that makes sense. Thanks for the info. I just set it just right before the peak measurement. Peaks at 36 so I set it at 35.9 I hear no distortion and it sounds pretty good so I will just leave it at that.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.