amp cuts in and out

dgaf
10+ year member

Swollen Member
727, FL
i got an orion 300d put in running a type r, wired to 1 ohm

for the first two weeks, everything ran perfect

now, if i turn my volume up the amp shuts off

(if it's set at 27, it's loud, i don't go past 27, usually 23-25 is where it stays, now it cuts out if i go past 22)

any ideas on what it could be?

my ground seems good, paint sanded away and two screws holding down a ring clamp good, can't wiggle it at all

thats what i was thinking blazer, was it might be wired wrong, i told the guys at the audio shop to wire it 1 ohm, and they kinda looked at me wierd, when i looked at it, it didn't look like it, it's two 2 ohm sub, so it goes positive to positive to amp and neg to neg to amp, but he has done it both sides got their own wire and goes into the box, the sub is mounted inverted, magnet out, i said to him, hey thats not one ohm and he said no it is, he made the connection inside the box with a butt-splice cuz it looks ugly to have two wires running around the outside of the sub...i havn't taken the sub off the box to look inside, but i guess i could just take my multi meter and check the ohms on the wires going into the sub, that should tell me 1 ohm if it's correct, correct?

Nah, you should be able to do it right from the terminals. I did an inverted sub fiberglassed enclosure in my Blazer a while back and had to hide a lot of wires for that one too. I was running eight 8" subs and with all that wire hanging out it would have looked horrible so I did what you mentioned and had the wire hidden on the inside.

hm

anyone got any other ideas of what it could be?

the amp was brand new when it was put in, orion 300d, could it be the amp is bad?

Have you checked all your power connections? I had the one on my battery loosen up a few years ago and it made my amp cut out, check that one out too. If all your power and grounds are tight, your subs are wired right then it could be an internal problem with the amp.

i'll double check my connections tomorrow, if it's all good, i might take it back to the shop that installed it, i'll post and let you know how it goes...

well I haven't made it to the shop to get it looked at yet, but i plan on going today, i'm going to clean and wash my car first, so if anyone knows any other ideas i could try let me know before i take it to the shop...

hey trebor,

i havn't played with the gain at all, and i don't have a knob...

...it really seems to do it more during the day after it's been sitting in the heat, like when i drive home from work, at 3 in the afternoon, sometimes i can play it 2/3 the way up, and sometimes, 1/3 and the amp kicks out, but at night, like if i leave at 10 oclock to go out, i can play it fine all the way up for a while before it kicks out...

think it could be getting too hot?

Have you ever had the opportunity to touch your amp after it cuts off to see if it is over heating?

Have you ever kept track of your voltage? Your amp may be shutting off because your voltage is dropping too low (this can be due to a ground or a bad battery or an electrical system that can't provide enough power). This falls in line with your amp shutting off sooner in hotter weather because an alternator performs less the hotter it gets.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.