Alpine SPX-137A vs. Scanspeak Discovery vs. Infinity Beta

Participant count
  • Participant list

baronkatz
10+ year member

Hello All,

I know that the Infinity Beta 5" Component set is impossible to come by, and the Alpine SPX-137A is hard as well, although not impossible. I was wondering what the difference between the Alpine SPX-137A and Scanspeak Discovery 800212 sets were? Which are the better components? I know they are both made by Scanspeak if I'm not mistaken but I heard the Discovery series is actually Vifa that's been remanufactured? Are they essentially the same tweeters?

Are all of these fairly warm sounding? I really want to get the kind of Sound Signature you get with the old ADS such as the 320i/is but with something where the tweeters are fairly shallow mount and small like on the Infinity Beta, Scanspeak Discovery, and Alpine SPX-137A I mentioned. Do any of those have a similar sound signature? I don't want it so bright as to be harsh or painful to listen to, but I don't want it so warm as to be boring... I like the sound signature of ADS speakers the most since I mostly listen to EDM. In terms of speakers KEF, Monitor Audio and other British speakers are usually bland and boring for me, ADS is on the complete other end of the spectrum in terms of excitement. I want that ADS SPARKLE in the highs.

The tweets CANNOT be bigger than the ones in the Alpine SPX-137A, Scanspeak Discovery or Infinity Beta. The Beta ones are the best size of all. HAT is not an option (I don't want made in China).

I will be using a Zed Audio made ESX Q60.4 that's been fully reconditioned with new caps, power supply, and some other internals!

Thanks in advance! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

x500SPX137A.jpeg

There are slight differences in the various Vifa/Scanspeak/Peerless drivers. Even if the cones look similar, the parameters are different and the sound is different.

Have you considered the Alpine SPX-137R? the ring radiator tweeters sound good and are quite compact. They are a nice sounding set of speakers.

Alpine_SPX137R.jpg

There are slight differences in the various Vifa/Scanspeak/Peerless drivers. Even if the cones look similar, the parameters are different and the sound is different.

Have you considered the Alpine SPX-137R? the ring radiator tweeters sound good and are quite compact. They are a nice sounding set of speakers.
I won't consider the 137R because it's not made by Scanspeak and is actually made in China. It's practically a cheap knockoff version of the 137A. I'm sure it sounds OK but it sells for the same price as the Scanspeak unit which is handmade in Denmark for cheaper (where the labour is some of the most expensive in the world).

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.