Alpine 9887, or Pioneer 880prs

• Alpine 9887

Votes: 30 61.2%
  • Pioneer 880prs

Votes: 14 28.6%
  • Something else, post your pick.

Votes: 5 10.2%

• Total voters
Pio has a little better SQ but I will go for Alpine..time corrections etc.
Pioneer had time correction long before Alpine. The Pioneer is far ahead of Alpine in SQ.

I few years back I would have said Alpine will out last Pioneer, but apline has become somewhat unreliable. Given this, I'd say the Pioneer has Apline beat in everyway.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

depends on what you want. if you want ipod controls along with good tuning capabilities such as 3 way xover, 5 band peq and t/a then the alpine. if you want more tuning capabilities then the 880prs is much better IMO. L/R 16 band graphic eq is pretty **** hard to beat. Plus phase control, t/a and a built in 3 way xover.

also which one looks better to you as well.

I have extensive use with Pioneer and Alpine. I've owned more Pioneer than Alpine, but Alpine is superior when it comes to SQ hands down! Pioneer will have to get some different engineers to compete with Alpine. I don't care if it has a 40 band eq, it still doesn't sound better. The poll speaks for itself. I'm one of the hardest dudes in the world, but I might shed a tear if Alpine goes out of business or sells it to Hifonics. By the way I own a 9887. I had a 7800mp before and the Alpine is way better. Don't get me wrong Pioneer is good stuff. Sony made the first CD player and you say Pioneer had time correction first. Alpine perfected both. I think the time corr. ***** on the Pioneer, but it works perfect on the Alpine. The only thing I hate about the 9887 is the face is not motorized. Eclipse and Clarion might be Alpines only competition.

A few years back a had Pioneer with a 13 band eq and a million backgrounds. I ran into a guy with a bottom of the line 5V Eclipse with just a bass and treble settings. Before he let me hear it, he was running his mouth like his lips had legs. I was running my mouth too. To make a long story short that Eclipse killed my pimped out Pioneer. IMO the 9887 is a must have if you're one of those people that cry about the newer Alpines no features. They basically brought back the Bass Engine Pro. You never know with Alpine. The 9887 might be the last one with some good features.

I have extensive use with Pioneer and Alpine. I've owned more Pioneer than Alpine, but Alpine is superior when it comes to SQ hands down! Pioneer will have to get some different engineers to compete with Alpine. I don't care if it has a 40 band eq, it still doesn't sound better. The poll speaks for itself. I'm one of the hardest dudes in the world, but I might shed a tear if Alpine goes out of business or sells it to Hifonics. By the way I own a 9887. I had a 7800mp before and the Alpine is way better. Don't get me wrong Pioneer is good stuff. Sony made the first CD player and you say Pioneer had time correction first. Alpine perfected both. I think the time corr. ***** on the Pioneer, but it works perfect on the Alpine. The only thing I hate about the 9887 is the face is not motorized. Eclipse and Clarion might be Alpines only competition.
A few years back a had Pioneer with a 13 band eq and a million backgrounds. I ran into a guy with a bottom of the line 5V Eclipse with just a bass and treble settings. Before he let me hear it, he was running his mouth like his lips had legs. I was running my mouth too. To make a long story short that Eclipse killed my pimped out Pioneer. IMO the 9887 is a must have if you're one of those people that cry about the newer Alpines no features. They basically brought back the Bass Engine Pro. You never know with Alpine. The 9887 might be the last one with some good features.
Best review ever... Btw the thread was about the 880 vs the 9887, not the 780, which isnt even comparible to either deck mentioned.. No offense, but that review was worthless..

if you haven't owned either unit......wtf are you doing recommending one over the other

Not only is that the wrong deck, but your blatant subjective statement about SQ is complete ********. The 880 is an outstanding deck and is significantly more flexible than the current Alpine offerings allowing you to adjust your install to maximize your stage and response. Your definition and understanding of SQ is as useless as your post.

Flame all you want. I have heard the 880 and my post was not meant to be a review or I would've posted it in the review section. I was just giving my opinion. I've had other units that had more features than this Alpine, but it meant nothing. The Alpine still sounded better. Go with the Pioneer he you wish. I didn't mean imply that you'd be going wrong with the Pioneer. Some units insides are just made better to me and don't need as many features as others, and that's fact not opinion.

hmmm seems like its mostly what people own is what you should get. i do have to agree with alpha on thi sone. its all about what you need. but i do have to say as far as the tuning goes for the alpine, im pretty sure that the 9887 is a controller for the 701. and it also has the new imprint feature where you place a mic in the car and it reads all the accustics and everything, pretty neat feature. have played to much with the 880prs but i hear it is a great unit. either way you wont be dissapointed. i do own the 9887 and love it compares to the 9861 i had but more features, just no optical out. and close to the 8443 but the sound quality is close but not quite the same (8v vs 4v)

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...