Alpine 3545 amplifier has 2 positive terminals & 2 negative terminals-Why

Participant count
  • Participants list

coomaster1
10+ year member

canada
Hi, I purchased an old school alpine 3545 amplifier to have more power than my old school alpine 3544 amp. When I look at the alpine 3545 amp. It has 2 positive screw terminals and 2 negative screw terminals on it. Why is this? Does that mean when I hook it up, I half to use both of the positive terminals ,and both of the negative terminals to get the amp working.Also if you can get it working by only using one terminal for power and negative.Will you get the full output from the alpine 3545 amp.I want to get the full output the amplifier was designed to put out. Thanks

Thanks for the quick reply,Does that simply mean I spit the end of my positive 4 gauge wire ,and put half of the copper strands on one of the positive terminals,and the other half of the strands from the same 4 gauge wire on the other positive terminal. and do the exact same for the two negative terminals. Or do I need to run 2 separate 4 gauge wires. One for each positive terminal on the amplifier to get the optimum power for the alpine 3545 amplifier, and run another 2 4 gauge wires,one for each of the negative terminals on the amp to get the beth grounding designed for the amp. Thanks

Does don't split it mean that I'm supposed to run two 4 gauge wires for both the positive terminals on the amp,and another two 4 gauge wires for each of the negative terminals on the amp. Thanks

If 4 gauge is what's required for both terminals then yeah you'll need to run 2 sets of positive 2 sets of negative 4 gauge. Spitting strands not a good plan. U could run 0 gauge into a distribution block then 4 gauge to amp. That would be easiest way. What is that amp? 4 channel 2 channel mono amp? Class ab or d. Just curious

Hi, The amp is a 2 channel ,class AB stereo amplifier. It has 3 30 amp fuses. When I look at the terminals on the alpine 3545 amplifier. The terminals are so close together that you would never fit all the strands from one 4 gauge wire under one terminal. It looks like only enough room for only 1/2 of the 4 gauge wire to fit under the terminal . Do I half to buy some type of adapter end to fit on each 4 gauge wire so I can hook up a 4 gauge wire to each positive and negative terminal. Only other way would be to only put 1/2 of the wire strands under each terminal. Which would defeat the benefit of using two 4 gauge wires.

Well being ab class it's not very efficient. Have you looked on line for a manual. I could be wrong but Sounds like it's probably set up for 2 8 guage. If that's the case you could run 1 4 guage from battery to close to the amplifier into a distribution block then 2 8 guage to the amplifier.

Hi, Thanks for the link to the ring terminals .They should fix the problem of getting 4 gauge on each positive and negative terminals. So everything looks to be figured out now. Just for fun though. What would have happened if I had only used one of the negative terminals,and one of the positive terminals on the amplifier, and left one positive terminal with nothing hooked to it and one negative terminal on the amplifier with no wires going to it. Would the amp not have fired up,or would the amp have still came on, but never put out the full power . or something else.

I think it is around the 1993 era. I would hope the ring terminal would work if I took the screw right out,then screwed the screw back in through the ring terminal. Also some claim the alpine 3545 amplifier was one of the best amplifiers alpine ever produced. I've listened to the alpine 3544 amplifier for years,and was hoping for even better sound quality than the alpine 3544 with the extra 200 rms watts of headroom extra.

Ab class alpine should be clean sounding amplifier.

Yeah I wasn't picturing you trying to stick bare wire into that style terminals. Ring or spade best to use even on speaker wire. Less chance of loose strands touching each other.

I would imagine amp would've gotten a little toasty trying to pull current through not big enough wire. Wire probably get hot too. Just educated guess or uneducated how ever you want to look at it lol.

Yes the alpine 35XX series are very clean sounding amplifiers. I have run the alpine 3544 amplifiers for close to 20 years straight. Not likely to get an amplifier built in todays world to last that long sound this good. Thanks to everyone for your help

10-8 ga wire is more than suffecient for that amplifier.I have had a large line of these 35 series amplifiers over the years and the min. requirement is 12ga suply and ground wiring for these amplifiers. Ive used up to 8 ga max with spade terminals with one leg cut off and held nicely.You will need to supply both + and Both - terminals to utilize all channells on that amp. Its like having two 3522s in a single chassis, same as the JBL GTQ400 with 2-200s in the same chassis

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.