About have amp nailed down, opinions?

You’ve been pushing a 10 for me and I have to give it heavy consideration. I’m sure you know more about it than me. When I go around to local shops I’ve heard some 10 recommendations as well. I never know if they are trying to make a sale or if they mean it. When they play songs I like I’m not blown away. I think it’s because they said they are running too low of power. Even a W7 10 was not great. There are two songs, if you think a 10 will kill it for those, that works for me. The opening to Hotel California with the long bass notes. Second is Nightmare by Avenge Sevenfold. Two different songs so kind of a challenge. Looking for one sub to give me the business on both songs. 
Listening to some display in a retail showroom in whats probably a sealed box on far less power than rated will not do you any justice. You need to listen to the equipment actually installed within the listening environment. If you arent willing to sacrifice alot of space and don't need to get super loud, a properly installed 10 will give you what you want. 

I have a 12" Demon 2ohm but no box yet. I will power mine with a JBL GTR-1001. 1200w @ 2ohm, 700w @ 4ohm. Account for box rise and some headroom. 

I would do a 12 over a 10 for rock, metal. Not much bass compared to rap, etc so may as well get more cone area and move the most amount of air as possible. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I wanted to keep the box at a size where I could fold down the rear seat to use the pass through if possible. That is a 2.04 cu ft box. I could go up to 3.4 cu ft if necessary.  If going one way or the other gives me amazing bass I would consider that. I’m not needing too loud. A 10 or 12 would be a massive addition to the stock unit. I would be nice to be able to test some setups in my car. 

Considering the fact you're using the factory system and only adding a sub plus only looking to add a "little bump in the trunk" a 10 should be more than enough. Just don't fall into the trap that you need to tune low for rock music. 

System update...I found a JX1000/1 locally, so that's going to be my amp.  It can run 500W at 4 ohm or 1000W at 2 ohm.  Was going between the Infinity 1000W and the Dayton 10" Reference HO-44.  With the amp nailed down I think I'll spend the extra money for the Dayton.  Just need a nice ported box design, 1.5 cu ft 13" tall and 15" deep...whatever length.  Lots of questions about tuning.  I've heard 30 to 38 for trunk mounted sub in a Chrysler 300.  That's the last decision...so many decisions.  Appreciate everyone's help.

System update...I found a JX1000/1 locally, so that's going to be my amp.  It can run 500W at 4 ohm or 1000W at 2 ohm.  Was going between the Infinity 1000W and the Dayton 10" Reference HO-44.  With the amp nailed down I think I'll spend the extra money for the Dayton.  Just need a nice ported box design, 1.5 cu ft 13" tall and 15" deep...whatever length.  Lots of questions about tuning.  I've heard 30 to 38 for trunk mounted sub in a Chrysler 300.  That's the last decision...so many decisions.  Appreciate everyone's help.
Idk ask 10 different people you likely to get 10 different answers. Tell someone u have a dayton ho they may tell ya to tune it at 25hz or something crazy like that. I think a lot of it personal preference and what you're trying to get out of the driver. Kinda confusing for someone just getting into car audio. I think a lot of it you kind of have to figure out for yourself. 

Personally I might put that dayton in a smaller box tuned in the mid upper 30 for rock. That's a great sub for getting really low with and one I wouldn't mind using in my ht system. For rock I might of went along the lines of something like the ssa demon. Would want to play around with different drivers in modeling software before making a final decision. I wouldn't get in a big hurry with it. 

You should look into how to use a software program like Winisd it is free. Or maybe someone can help ya out and model the drivers you're interested in and show you how they respond with different air space and tune 

Winisd doesnt model accurately below 50hz because it cant estimate cabin gain. Its fine for home theatre when there is little to no room gain, but it's not accurate for car audio. 
Yeah but can't it be somewhat simulated in Winisd? Idk I've never tried because I use bass box pro. I modeled the ho this morning in bbp in 1.5 with a mid upper 30s tune. I didn't care for it looked peaky af to me around tuning . Looked like it would do better with a little  less air space with that tuning anyway. I didn't mess with too much. I don't get a lot of spare time during the week..

Idk ask 10 different people you likely to get 10 different answers. Tell someone u have a dayton ho they may tell ya to tune it at 25hz or something crazy like that. I think a lot of it personal preference and what you're trying to get out of the driver. Kinda confusing for someone just getting into car audio. I think a lot of it you kind of have to figure out for yourself. 

Personally I might put that dayton in a smaller box tuned in the mid upper 30 for rock. That's a great sub for getting really low with and one I wouldn't mind using in my ht system. For rock I might of went along the lines of something like the ssa demon. Would want to play around with different drivers in modeling software before making a final decision. I wouldn't get in a big hurry with it. 

You should look into how to use a software program like Winisd it is free. Or maybe someone can help ya out and model the drivers you're interested in and show you how they respond with different air space and tune 
I hear you saying I need to experiment myself. I wish I knew more about where to start. I kinda feel like finally making some decisions is the starting point. I’m happy to look at other drivers. That’s why I’m here, to pick the brains of those more knowledgeable than I. 

Yeah but can't it be somewhat simulated in Winisd? Idk I've never tried because I use bass box pro. I modeled the ho this morning in bbp in 1.5 with a mid upper 30s tune. I didn't care for it looked peaky af to me around tuning . Looked like it would do better with a little  less air space with that tuning anyway. I didn't mess with too much. I don't get a lot of spare time during the week..
Bass Box Pro is the only modeling program that can add cabin gain and its just an estimate but you can pick what frequency the +12db/octave begins at so you can tailor it pretty close.

Those Dayton HOs don't need a very big box at all, the HF series needs a larger box to play flat, that's why they market the HO for car audio and HF for home theatre. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I hear you saying I need to experiment myself. I wish I knew more about where to start. I kinda feel like finally making some decisions is the starting point. I’m happy to look at other drivers. That’s why I’m here, to pick the brains of those more knowledgeable than I. 
I'm just saying look into it a little more and make a more educated decision using tools that are available and not base your decision only off someone's review or suggestions. I just didn't care for the ho in a 1.5 tuned for rock music myself. Seems like it's better suited in a smaller box to me. I'm sure it would do well with the right amount of air space and tune for what you listen to. 

Sounds like you got a decent amplifier anyway.

I could model up a few drivers for ya but like I said earlier I don't have a lot of time during the week because of work. Maybe this weekend if you can't find anyone else to help you out. Just remember you listen to rock music tuning really low ie 30 32 is kinda a waste imo anyway. 

I'm just saying look into it a little more and make a more educated decision using tools that are available and not base your decision only off someone's review or suggestions. I just didn't care for the ho in a 1.5 tuned for rock music myself. Seems like it's better suited in a smaller box to me. I'm sure it would do well with the right amount of air space and tune for what you listen to. 

Sounds like you got a decent amplifier anyway.

I could model up a few drivers for ya but like I said earlier I don't have a lot of time during the week because of work. Maybe this weekend if you can't find anyone else to help you out. Just remember you listen to rock music tuning really low ie 30 32 is kinda a waste imo anyway. 
I only mentioned 1.5 cu ft for the Dayton because that's what the manufacturer suggested.  If you have a way to run some mock ups, I'd totally appreciate it. I'm in no hurry.  Open to the proper box size and $200 or less driver for mostly rock in the trunk of my car.  Thanks so much!!

Suggested is 1.36cf.

They suggest that as it will satisfy most people in a variety of vehicles and be reliable. 

Custom is the way to go. Dayton doesn't know your vehicle, what amp you have and what music you listen to. 

Suggested is 1.36cf.

They suggest that as it will satisfy most people in a variety of vehicles and be reliable. 

Custom is the way to go. Dayton doesn't know your vehicle, what amp you have and what music you listen to. 
You must be looking at the 12

The dvc ho 10 is 1.5 suggested volume 

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.