AA vs. RE

Phlipbak
10+ year member

CA Enthusiast
Alright, well I haven't been on the forums in about a year, just because I have been busy and was completely content with my first system //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif. But I now have the car audio bug again.. I have a Dodge Charger, with a sealed 2.5 cu. ft. box in the trunk with 2x12's (Ascendant Audio Arsenal 12's), and an Elemental Designs ednine.1 powering them at about 1200-1250RMS@1ohm.. but I want something that hits a little harder now.

I'm a fan of sound quality, and I have heard an Alpine Type R and it sounds pretty good, plus I like my SQ a LOT, but I need more output.. let's just use a couple hypothetical situations to get my point across:

1)If I used my same box and amp, but swapped my AA's for two RE SE 12's how much louder would it be in comparison to my current setup? Because those RE's magnets are loads bigger than the Arsenal's, if I'm not mistaken, and I heard they hit really hard.

2)If I got a 3 to 3.5, maybe even 4 cu. ft. box for 2x12's, and put two RE SE 12's in it, powered still by my ednine.1, would the output also be noticeably greater than my current system?

So, considering all of this, take into account that I have no speakers in the rear area of my car (only subs in trunk, no rear deck mids or anything), only Elemental Designs components in front with mids in doors the tweets in dash running 100w per side, would the bass be noticeably louder with either of these setups? Which do you recommend as far as price/convenience goes? And would the sub swap make my bass overpower my fronts too much? Would these scenarios not even cause my bass to be any louder, like I would I need SX's and a 2k watt amp or something to have a noticeable bass increase?

I listen to a lot of rock, metal, and the like, so I don't want my front speakers to be too overpowered, but I do like me some bass..

So can anyone help me out? Thanks!

Trevor

Who knows a GOOD box builder? I had a TCAB but never used it, I sold it to go sealed instead. So I never got to hear my subs ported.

O, and another thing.. I have horrible cabin gain in my Charger, anything I can do about that? It's like INSANELY louder in back seat than the front.. more than it is in other cars, trust me..

Aso if I got a ported box the port would probably have to be on the sides, in the back, or under or on top of the subs due to width limitations in the trunk.. would the port placement affect SQ, output, or anything?

Trevor

P.S. Exactly HOW MUCH louder will this be..VERY noticeable?? Just don't wanna waste my money..

What if I got like a Fi Audio Q Series 15 and ported it or something? Anyone know if their BL line of subs has decent SQ?

Just throwing out ideas..

Just stick with what you have and port it. Those subs are better ported. You won't loose much SQ, you'll just gain a lot of low end...... as far as it being louder in the back...... once you port them that might change. You'll peak a lot lower. The low notes tend to do better up front while the higher notes do better in the back of any vehicle.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

Phlipbak

10+ year member
CA Enthusiast
Phlipbak
Dothan, AL; Nashville, TN
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date