9volts

NegativeEffect1
10+ year member

Super Stupid Newbie!
Louisiana
the gauge on my truck reads 9volts when it hits hard, my question is if i run another 1000 watt amp will it kill my truck? also my lights dim insanly and all the amps i have are running off of 2.4farad caps...time for new alt and big three?

one thing that is sorta odd that i notice with my 2 jls hooked up my lights barely dimmed at all but with one TDX hooked up they dim like crazy

The big 3 ain't going to fix that much voltage drop. A few tenths of a volt.....yeah, the big 3 would help. 3V+ drop and the big 3 will barely make a dent in the problem.

Ditch the cap 1st. Upgrading the big 3 is definitely a step in the right direction.....but if you are seriously dropping down to 9V then you definitely need to upgrade the alt as a minimum. Also, I'd suggest not turning it loud enough to see that much of a voltage drop in the meantime because that low of a voltage could potentially damage your amp and/or your truck's electrical system.

soo New Delco-Remy CS-144 type, 250 Amp Dual Rectifier with OEM Voltage Regulator + Big 3 upgrade + yellow top bat. = //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/veryexcited.gif.c26a15f316d23068607f36ddacd7a7ab.gif (prob. solved)

**** it now i need like $1200 for another amp, alt, bat, and if i decide to be lazy, install

My voltage drops used to get down to 10 volts...when I only had 600 watts rms total. Now I never fall below 13.4V with the big3 (1/0ga) and now I'm running about 1200 watts. Original stock wiring had to be like 10ga prior to the big 3.

yeah thats wut u was thinking too, so now do you guys think i can run another 1000 without changing the alt? im gunna get the big 3 done when the new amp goes in

does anyone think ill be ok to run another 1000watt amp without changing alt but doing Big 3? now that i realized its only going down 1-2volts

The big 3 won't do much unless your stock connections were badly corroding or had no surface area on the connection...the stock wiring was meant to handle whatever capacitance your stock alternator can possibly create....I suggest getting a new alternator, battery, and upgraded alt/battery wiring with thicker gauge wiring- that's the only suitable solution to your problem IMO.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

NegativeEffect1

10+ year member
Super Stupid Newbie!
NegativeEffect1
Louisiana
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date