9886 vs DEH700BT in SQ for iPod

vinsewah
10+ year member

So after hours of researching I've finally narrowed it down to these two units. I was wondering which has better sound quality for a passive set up and for a primary ipod user. I don't care much for imprint and don't plan to upgrade in the future and I want this to be the last purchase I make for a HU.

Sorry if this topics been beaten to death already but I haven't really seen a comparison with these exact two units!

Thanks!

From what my customer's say, they like Alpine better for the iPod interface, but I see little, to no difference. I, personally don't prefer one over the other.

If you don't mind forking up a little extra cash, The 9887 does everything the 9886 does and plus some. I'm not to familiar with the Pioneer deck but the 9887 has a 5 band Parametric EQ or it can be switched to a 7 band Graphic EQ. The iPod functions on it are very fast and easy to navigate through. It also has buit in crossover instead of a high pass filter so you can adjust your front speakers, rear speakers, and subwoofers individually instead of all at once. It's got time correction that adds a nice touch to it too. I'm positive there's more to it that I'm forgetting, but it's a pretty beefed up head unit, and I'm pretty sure the price on it has dropped since I picked up mine. I think I saw it going for about 350 bucks last time I checked.

The 9887 is indeed a nice deck but I think its too overkill for what I want to do. Not only do you have to buy the deck, you also have to purchase the imprint tuner to unlock those features such as the built in cross over and the 7-band eq, even then those features can't be adjusted by the user himself. :\ Don't know why alpine has to do that but I guess thats the way it is...

I'm still undecided between the 700Bt and the 9886. I'm probably leaning towards the former since its got a 3 band eq for the highs, lows, and mids. The 9886 only comes with eq adjustments for treble and bass...

Regardless of which deck you choose, do yourself a favor and at least try some Compact Discs in that unit. I think you'll be surprised at how good they can sound compared to your iPod.

The 9887 is indeed a nice deck but I think its too overkill for what I want to do. Not only do you have to buy the deck, you also have to purchase the imprint tuner to unlock those features such as the built in cross over and the 7-band eq, even then those features can't be adjusted by the user himself. :\ Don't know why alpine has to do that but I guess thats the way it is...
I'm still undecided between the 700Bt and the 9886. I'm probably leaning towards the former since its got a 3 band eq for the highs, lows, and mids. The 9886 only comes with eq adjustments for treble and bass...
You don't have to buy Imprint to unlock anything. Everything I wrote about the 9887 earlier you can do manually. It is true that if you use the Imprint feature that you can't adjust anything once it's turned on, but everything that Imprint does can be done manually.

http://support.alpine-usa.com/products/documents/OM_CDA-9887.PDFPage 13, See section titled "Turning MultEQ on/off". Treble/bass cannot be adjusted when MultiEQ is turned off. To turn on Multi-EQ you need the tuner as MultiEQ, MX,X-OVER,T.Correction,User's EQ, Param EQ, and Graphic EQ are "no longer user adjustable".

Can't use it. That'd be awesome if I could tho... :\
MultiEQ is the for turning Imprint on or off. If you hit the A.SEL button it will bring you to the Parametric EQ, Crossover, Media Expander, Time Correction etc.

Ooh. You're right!

Ok so my concern is that I'm not getting enough mids and my highs are too loud. How would I go about adjusting the EQ for that?

The Parametric EQ or the Crossover can help you out there. Trust me dude, I've had the 9887 for a few months now, it took me a little bit to completely figure it out, but now that I have I would never go back to a Pioneer. You can bend and twist your stereo to make it do what ever you want with the 9887.

So here are the prices for each:

9886 - 220

9887 - 300

700BT - 235

I'd still like a comparison between the 9886 and 700BT. I just think the 9887 would be a waste if I'm not going active.

Im looking at these same two models and recently went to Best buy to pay with them. I feel the Alpine is better if your an audiofile because i know it is a more powerful unit RMS wise. The Alpine also has a much nicer looking display and the buttons feel more solid and not as flimsy as the pioneer. Other than that I think its a toss up. I think Im gonig with the Pioneer because the built in Bluetooth puts it over the top for me. I think it would be a nice feature to have and the add on BT unit for the Alpine is $200. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/eek.gif.771b7a90cf45cabdc554ff1121c21c4a.gif I have a Avic D3 in my other car and it sounds plenty good to me. So this Premier unit will probably sonud even better.

Just my .02

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.