9 band eq settings ideas

Participant count
  • Participant list

devast8r3436
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Hey guys just got an Alpine 147BT with the tuneit app, I am pretty good at tuning basics but the 9 band eq is new for me. What kind of reference points do yall use? I know everybody has different tastes but just looking for good reference points. So far I'm trying it like this,

20Hz-100Hz - is set to 50Hz level 0 and Q at 3

63Hz-315Hz - is set to 160Hz level +2 and Q at 3

125Hz-500Hz - is set to 315Hz level -3 and Q at 3

250Hz-1kHz - is set to 800Hz level -2 and Q at 3

500Hz-2kHz - is set to 1kHz level +1 and Q at 3

1kHz-4kHz - is set to 2.6kHz level 0 and Q at 3

2kHz-7.2kHz - is set to 7.2kHz level 0 and Q at 3

5.8kHz-12kHz - is set to 8kHz level 0 and Q at 3

9kHz-20kHz - is set to 9kHz level 0 and Q at 3

Am I in the right ball park for rock?

i like to have my q lower for 80 hertz and down. the few head units ive played with that have that feature it sounded better with Q at 1 or 1.5. if thats how your headunit is layed out. eq is something you just have to keep tweaking, ive had new system for seven months and i still tweak it couple times a week.

i know exactly how you feel. i couldnt get my pioneer deh 80 prs to sound good, had to make a thread to get helped. hopefully you get the sound your looking for.

Who knows man? The EQ is there to compensate for what the acoustics of the car does to your system. No offense. If you aren't a competitor, set it how it sounds best to YOUR years. Just remember, when you start boosting frequencies you can cause damage to your drivers.

Personally I think there is no fixed setting for an eq like that wether you listen to rock or jazz, simply because MUSIC is dynamic and the quality of the recording from different studios, cd publishers, download sites, etc. will vary in frequency response and you will have to re-adjust again until it sounds good to YOU. For example, one artist might have alot of bass and another might have too less bass or too less mid frequencies or high frequencies or too much, etc. etc. you get what I'm trying to say?

I often wondered how competitors with those big 32 band eqs etc. would have it preset in their trunk for all types of music, considering my statement above. I never understood that...

Personally I think there is no fixed setting for an eq like that wether you listen to rock or jazz, simply because MUSIC is dynamic and the quality of the recording from different studios, cd publishers, download sites, etc. will vary in frequency response and you will have to re-adjust again until it sounds good to YOU. For example, one artist might have alot of bass and another might have too less bass or too less mid frequencies or high frequencies or too much, etc. etc. you get what I'm trying to say?

I often wondered how competitors with those big 32 band eqs etc. would have it preset in their trunk for all types of music, considering my statement above. I never understood that...
I "think" in SQ competition a flat response from 20 to 20k is desired. That is without a doubt not what sounds "good" to most ears.

Hmmm yeah I seen those big eq's in SQ cars so I'm guessing they must set it to a special track that they use for SQ cos definately will not sound the same for all music right?

Oh sorry op to go off topic lol.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.