8's 10's or 12's

LilJ29
10+ year member

I need someone that knows alot about how sound frequencies work, and the wavelengths and all that cool stuff..

I was talking to a guy who suggested i use 8's instead of 12's in my extended cab Chevy 06 silverado SS. He said id get better sounding, less distorted bass because the wavelengths from 8 inch subs take less of a distance to fully mature, and the reasons my 12's right now are making weird noise when turned up loud is because im sitting too close to the woofer.

Is this information actually true? would i get better sounds if i used 8 inch subs in the cab of my truck? or is there really not a difference to the human ear?

un true what he might be right about is space and the size of box used and 8's love small areas

http://www.foxacoustics.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=24

what i can recomend is that u buy a foxbox and not some shitty prefab wood box from china. as i have intalled many truck builds and all the prefab china stuff rattles and sounds like ****. they make one for 10's ported and one for 12's sealed.

Ive got the 1200 Hifonics brutus mono amp..got about 350-400 to spend for 2 subs.

I've honestly spent alot of time trying to fit boxes under my seat..My brother has a silverado 1500 also, and I have the supersport version of it, its lame because theres a couple inches less than a normal extended cab chevy truck under my seat.

I need someone that knows alot about how sound frequencies work, and the wavelengths and all that cool stuff..
I was talking to a guy who suggested i use 8's instead of 12's in my extended cab Chevy 06 silverado SS. He said id get better sounding, less distorted bass because the wavelengths from 8 inch subs take less of a distance to fully mature, and the reasons my 12's right now are making weird noise when turned up loud is because im sitting too close to the woofer.

Is this information actually true? would i get better sounds if i used 8 inch subs in the cab of my truck? or is there really not a difference to the human ear?
So your friend thinks a 50hz sound wave is shorter when it is created by an 8" sub? Sound waves at a given frequency have a specific 'wave length'. If the sound wave was shorter, it would be a lower frequency wave. The physical properties of sound waves, and how they interact in your vehicle, do not change due to the diameter of a speaker cone, I assure you. Your friend is full of hot air, and really needs to go back to a highschool science class.

IIRC the lower the frequency, the more distance it'll take to develop. Frequency affects wavelength. Surface area does not. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

spend the money on the foxbox trust me, spend the money, its custom made for ur truck formed with high quality, 200 bucks, so that leaves u with 150 to 200,

i would go with 10 or 12's all the 10's or 12's are same price, go with 12's if ur going sealed, 10's if ur going ported.

SSA Shop - Incriminator Audio 10" Lethal Injection

dc level 3

DC Audio - Woofers

call rusty directly

Phoenix Gold RSdC 104 Subwoofers - Car Subwoofers at Onlinecarstereo.com

amazing budget subs

Cerwin-Vega V-MAX124 (vmax124) - 12" Subwoofers - Sonic Electronix

IIRC the lower the frequency' date=' the more distance it'll take to develop. Frequency affects wavelength. Surface area does not. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif[/quote']
If that is to correct me, you are right. I had a typo when I wrote that last night. Longer wavelengths = lower frequency. A 20hz note has a wavelength of approx 50 feet iirc.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

LilJ29

10+ year member
LilJ29
Los Angeles, CA
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from