80prs not that loud?

Participant count
  • Participant list

chaddyc
10+ year member

Hawaii
Hi I just installed an 80prs yesterday. I switched out a alpine 147bt. At first the bass was really loud on the sub channel so turned down my gains. After tuning I notice that it doesn't hit as hard as my 147bt. Turned down the gains a little because of the 5v pre out vs 4v. Anything I should check? I noticed that I can't set the sub to flat also it has a 6db slope.

I did notice the sound quality is amazing though. I am working on deadening my doors and changing to 3way soon.

Sub bass. I took it to the shop because something was wrong with the Hu. It wouldn't load cds. Their technician adjusted the eq for me. It sounds really clear even at high levels but still seems like I have to turn the volume up to 40+ to really get it bumping. He set the sub to -3 lvl at -12db.

It does sound really good sq wise but seems like my 147bt might of had more oomf. Would really rattle everything in my car. Leaning more to sq that's why I bought this Hu. He told me I should adjust my gains higher but I figured the preouts were higher than the 147bt so I shouldn't turn my gains higher.

Sub bass. I took it to the shop because something was wrong with the Hu. It wouldn't load cds. Their technician adjusted the eq for me. It sounds really clear even at high levels but still seems like I have to turn the volume up to 40+ to really get it bumping. He set the sub to -3 lvl at -12db. It does sound really good sq wise but seems like my 147bt might of had more oomf. Would really rattle everything in my car. Leaning more to sq that's why I bought this Hu. He told me I should adjust my gains higher but I figured the preouts were higher than the 147bt so I shouldn't turn my gains higher.
Theres your problem man. You can go up to 62 out of 62 and it'll still be clean.

I normally have mines around 47 to 50. Sub level should be at +6 or else you arent even getting close to the 5 volt pre-out of the head unit, more like 2v out of 5 where you are at right now, reset your 4 channel and subwoofer gains. Also invest in a digital multi-meter to set it up properly. Its not the head unit lacking any oomph, its your lack of knowledge about the head unit and gain settings.

Equalizer settings, 20hz to 80 hz should be at flat. Loudness setting should be off.

Here's a guide on how to set gains properly

How to Adjust Amplifier Gains Using a Digital Multi-Meter | Learning Center | Sonic Electronix

Ok. Checked using a multi meter and was pretty much right there. Without loudness on or using bass boost on my amp doesn't get as loud as my 147bt. Should be OK to set the bass on the Hu to +6? Also 6db is the most this Hu can go to on the sub I can't set it to flat

Ok. Checked using a multi meter and was pretty much right there. Without loudness on or using bass boost on my amp doesn't get as loud as my 147bt. Should be OK to set the bass on the Hu to +6? Also 6db is the most this Hu can go to on the sub I can't set it to flat
sub level is different, Equalization with your 16 band EQ is different. You gotta reset your gains properly with your amp too. Raise up that volume knob and sub level. Also the music you listen to would depend on your settings too. If your music is not decaf or bass enhanced music, you'd want to use a -5 db test tone instead of a 0 db test tone.

What amp, test tone were you using and what was the voltage reading on the multi-meter?

sub level is different, Equalization with your 16 band EQ is different. You gotta reset your gains properly with your amp too. Raise up that volume knob and sub level. Also the music you listen to would depend on your settings too. If your music is not decaf or bass enhanced music, you'd want to use a -5 db test tone instead of a 0 db test tone.
What amp, test tone were you using and what was the voltage reading on the multi-meter?
I have a nest tower 5000d supposed to be 3200 at 1ohm at 14v. But seen someone clamp it at 12v and got just under 2000w. I used the 50hz test tone from mtx.com/testtones. I listen to mostly reggae, dancehall, Hawaiian music and some hip hop. I set the gains using the rated power and then did it with the clamped power. They were 56.5 and the clamped one was 44.7. Both numbers put the gain to right about where I had it with the 147bt. About 1/3 on the gain knob.

Going to try the -5 db tone later today.

my buddy just ran into the same thing with his 80prs... use that volume knob! the gain isnt volume knob tho..
I love the sq I'm getting now with this Hu. Just seems like you need to get up in the volume to get it cranking. Seen a few other people re iew it saying the same thing. Things start to come a live in the 20+ volume lvls. Never did use the gain as a volume knob though.

I have a nest tower 5000d supposed to be 3200 at 1ohm at 14v. But seen someone clamp it at 12v and got just under 2000w. I used the 50hz test tone from mtx.com/testtones. I listen to mostly reggae, dancehall, Hawaiian music and some hip hop. I set the gains using the rated power and then did it with the clamped power. They were 56.5 and the clamped one was 44.7. Both numbers put the gain to right about where I had it with the 147bt. About 1/3 on the gain knob.
Thats the problem. The songs in your genres of music is recorded at -10db of bass levels. You used a 0 db test tone which means you are waaay under gained for the music you listen to. Choose a proper test tone matching the music you have, that mtx one wont cut it its the completely wrong db level of test tone for the music you listen to.

OR do it by ear, just bump up your head unit volume to 50, sub level up to +6 and play your normal listening music and raise the gain up until it stops getting louder(clipping point), then back it off a little bit.

Thats the problem. The songs in your genres of music is recorded at -10db of bass levels. You used a 0 db test tone which means you are waaay under gained for the music you listen to. Choose a proper test tone matching the music you have, that mtx one wont cut it.
If anything, just bump up your head unit volume to 50, sub level up to +6 and play your normal listening music and raise the gain up until it stops getting louder(clipping point), then back it off a little bit.
Thanks Jeffdachef

The biggest thing about the 80 prs is that you set the gains at or around max volume the back off your high amp to your liking. The bass doesn't even start to come in till about 52 and the signal is still clean at max. I loved my 80 prs but it had to be turned up to really be useful for bass output

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.