800 watt RMS sub, how much wattage do I really need?

02envoy
10+ year member

Sci-Fi Car Audio Dude
Erie, PA
I have purchased a Diamond D9 12 inch dual voice coil sub. This will be a single sub in a sealed box in a SUV. Its RMS is 800 with a peak of 1600. I was questioning how much wattage I need to run this sub? I want to ensure I purchase an amp powerful enough to run it without clipping issues. I am more interested in sound quality than SPL. I plan to purchase a class 'D' type mono amplifier. There are many out there, but quite frankly I don't know what would be best suited for this sub. Any input would be appreciated! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/tongue.gif.6130eb82179565f6db8d26d6001dcd24.gif

800-1200RMS

Running a 1200 watt amp will allow you to keep the gain relatively low and not have to worry about overdriving the amp. And there are so many good 1000-1200 watt amps out.

Remember only pay attention to the RMS rating. Never even look at the MAX ratings on any audio equipment. It's pretty much useless.

Any recommendations on amp mfg and model number? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

Why? Why does everyone say that you need the RMS at a minimum? Its completely wrong. The sub will run fine with anywhere from 400-800.

As for everyone else knowing that you need 800+ watts no one seemed to pick up that you wanted more sq over spl. In this case you wont want a class D amp, you would want a class AB amp which in general are cleaner but eat more power. Though the sound maybe minimal to your ear to non existant, its still a more sq driven amp.

Why? Why does everyone say that you need the RMS at a minimum? Its completely wrong. The sub will run fine with anywhere from 400-800.

You obviously don't have enough money for a big amp //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif . Reason anyone would want to run the RMS is to get the max potential out of their speaker.

Getting a amp with more power than needed will allow you to run the amp well below it's maximum output, causing less stress on the equipment and less chances of clipping from wanting to much from a small amp.

I have 1200+ watts on my sub and I have amazing SQ. I could give it 2000+ watts and still have amazing SQ. Power has nothing to do with the SQ of your driver.

You obviously dont deal with to many car audio rookies, or kids just looking for systems. Most of them dont understand power requirments or dont really care. Therefore putting a larger amp than needed to the subs and kids not knowing what they are doing, will equal blowing them.

Ive got more money than you //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif

My amp is only around 900 watts but it costs much more than most of the 1200 watts garbage amps around such as my jbl 1200.1 that I have lying around. I dont buy trash so lets not talk on that subject.

Go to the realmofexcursion then go to soundsplinter then look for Fonzis Rlp 15. Thats with 500 watts. Remember the challenging part of car audio is to make real loud cars with minimal power. Any idiot can slap a 1200+ watt amp in there and be loud. I am still to this day amazed at the high power, high excursion sub revolution thats going around it wasnt really like this 4 years ago.

My comments still remain true. Stop trying to put your side out there as the only side.
Sure why not, tell that to any manufacturer that your going to put 1200 watts to a 800 watt rms woofer. Warrenty goes //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/bigwave.gif.16324171cad2db62cf4f16568b038478.gif

Will you read my post. God damn you'r annoying.

Set the gain for 800 watts using the gain setting tutorial. Less stress, clean effecient power. Still have the warranty.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...