80 mil gorilla shield

"DROPMAT is a rubberized material with a top protective layer of aluminum." - http://www.dropmat.com/dropmat.html

It doesn't even say its butyl rubber based mat. Im guessing, based on its price and the wording in its advertising, that its asphalt based crap. Ben over at Elemental Designs use to call his asphalt based mat a 'rubberized' material too, hoping we'd all think it was butyl based. Truth was it was simply asphalt based mat with the same minuscule amount of rubber in it used as a binding agent that every other asphalt mat out there uses too. Im betting this is the same situation. If so, trying to deceive your customers is a bad way to start out your business.

rubberized black butyl based compound. if you read the web site it clearly says. pretty cool web site. has alum. constraining top layer.

i have looked at a sample of 50mil. it doesn't look like asphalt based. not sure though.
Drop a 1" square in an ounce of mineral spirits. If the liquid is brown after 15 minutes or so, it's asphalt. If the liquid turns black with black particles (gray if the adhesive is gray), it's probably butyl. Leave the piece in the mineral spirits for a day. The adhesive will completely dissolve. Test the facing for continuity across both sides and front to back to see if it is fully foil or a foil/plastic laminate.

Drop a 1" square in an ounce of mineral spirits. If the liquid is brown after 15 minutes or so, it's asphalt. If the liquid turns black with black particles (gray if the adhesive is gray), it's probably butyl. Leave the piece in the mineral spirits for a day. The adhesive will completely dissolve. Test the facing for continuity across both sides and front to back to see if it is fully foil or a foil/plastic laminate.
once i get another sample i will try this and let you know the results. sounds like a pretty good way to check it.

i am going to be building a 159.9 bass race vehicle and i was looking at it because of the price. this thing is going to cost me alot and i am trying to get something that does a good job but also cheaper.

Drop mat claims to be butyl. Says it right on the product information page.

Also has a 3 mil foil , which is a bit less than desireable, but better than a 2 mil foil which is what most of the roofing products toute.

They claim that the foil stretches and does not tear which, seems kind of strange to me.

It might be good stuff for the price.

ANT

"DROPMAT materials can and will increase your output of you car audio system's sound quality, SPL and life or your equipment."

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/confused.gif.e820e0216602db4765798ac39d28caa9.gif

"DROPMAT materials can and will increase your output of you car audio system's sound quality, SPL and life or your equipment."
//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/confused.gif.e820e0216602db4765798ac39d28caa9.gif
I did a double-take at that claim as well. But after thinking about it, a lower noise floor means you can run the stereo at a lower volume, there by increasing equipment life. If they want to go far enough, they could probably list a way it would inhibit your girlfriend from getting pregnant.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

pawn man

10+ year member
CarAudio.com Elite
pawn man
albany ga.
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date