-6db or -3db

bigballin5779
10+ year member

chi
I want max output out my amp, its a orion 2500d and im using it to run two kicker 12 l7s, my question is if i set my gains using a -6db tone, would that mean that any music above -6db (-5,-4,-3,-2,-1,0) would cause clipping? or does that mean that -7,-8,-9,-10 would cause clipping?

Any test tone played under -6db would cause it to clip. This is assuming the amp was set @ 0% clipping.

I only set my gains with -10db tones. If you have a hard time hearing distortion, or don't have a lot of XP with clipping detection. I would recomend you stick with the standard 0db tones.

Both Richard Clark and David Navone have recommended gain setting with a -10dB tone for years, //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/fyi.gif.9f1f679348da7204ce960cfc74bca8e0.gif

Using an scope can be handy no matter what level you're using, you'd benefit just as much by using it with 0dB tones as you would -10dB ones.

But you don't need it.

ummm... DMM is what need to use, to properly set your gains.

-dante
The benefit of a properly-used o'scope is that you can tell exactly when the sine wave begins to clip, which is what you're trying to prevent or minimize in the first place //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

hmm im not exactly a noob but i wont be able to tell when my equipment is clipping unless i started to smell my subs burning, should i still use -10?

you use a dmm/o-scope to set your gains properly. -10db test tones are better for playing music daily //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/fyi.gif.9f1f679348da7204ce960cfc74bca8e0.gif they allow you to get more power out of your amps while mininimizing clipping at normal volumes. even if you set your hu to 75% full volume, i doubt you listen to it on a daily basis at anything abover40-50% so you wouldn't be clipping unless you turned it up past the 75% hu volume theoretically

hmm im not exactly a noob but i wont be able to tell when my equipment is clipping unless i started to smell my subs burning, should i still use -10?
I would recomend against it. But if you are confident enough to be able to know when the equipment is in danger, go for it.

I would recomend against it. But if you are confident enough to be able to know when the equipment is in danger, go for it.
ok i set my gains using a -10db tone and i set it correctly but when i turned my volume to 75%(which i set my gains at) while listening to music, it would be louder than usual but my subs would make a popping noise often, which they never do when i set my gains using a -3db tone, why is that?

heres the quick skinny.

when you set your gains @ -10 DB, you are raising your overall output of the amp to compensate for the -10 DB.

if you set them using 0 db tones, then the signal is not attenuated, and you will have 0 chance of clipping if done properly

-0 = noobix

-3 = minimal chance of clipping because most music is recorded lower than this

-6 - intermediate - you can tell when you are stressing your equipment, and hen you need to turn it down

-10 = professionals, or heavaly expierenced people are the only ones that should use this setting.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

bigballin5779

10+ year member
bigballin5779
chi
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from