690ub or 860mp

I looked at both and I went with the 690 since it had the USB connection. I like the idea of that a lot. Ca only get it on the 690 in the premier line and the 6900 in the standard line.

Depends on what you are needing out of the deck. If you want to go active and need more eq and time alignment then the 860. If you want usb or Ipod then the 690. The 860 is more of and sq deck then the 690.

I'd agree. I just picked up this unit today and it has some very nice features...nice EQ options and such. The USB features are very good and ipod functionality (5th gen on only for straight USB plug in) is exceptional. If you want time alignment and other more advanced features...this isn't your deck. All in all, I'm pretty satisfied. I went in thinking I was going to get the Kenwood X891 but the Pio seemed to be a bit more evolved on the USB/ipod front.

really ***** that pioneer didnt make anything new SQ oriented this year. it seems like all of their new units are geared towards Ipod control or bluetooth. even the 790bt is short of time alignment, BBE, Comp/BMX, and alot of crossover options. not to mention it doesnt have a color screen. you can still get a 980bt for the same price with all those capabilities. guess ill wait another year to buy a h/u.

really ***** that pioneer didnt make anything new SQ oriented this year. it seems like all of their new units are geared towards Ipod control or bluetooth.
First of all Pioneer has been running their top 2 or 3 decks for 2 years straight for a while. The 940 was the flagship for 2 or 3 years. The 860 and 960 were the top 2 for 2 years straight. The 980 and 880 are in their second year of being the top models. Its just how Pioneer cycles their head units.

In response to your post: Agreed. Unfortunately the the entire car audio industry is going (and has been going) in this direction. There aren't many SQ decks left anymore. Atleast NOT without paying an arm and a leg. Todays young crowd is into loud bass, (shitty quality) mp3s and convenience features such as bluetooth. SQ is NOT even in the equation to some people which is downright disgusting if you ask me. I never will understand how SQ isn't the first and foremost thing to some people. Oh well, home audio is under the same attack. Which is why DVD-Audio and SACD didn't make it as formats.

The old days of enjoying a high quality recording on CD are on their way out. I'm just glad that Iasca and Usac still judge with the CD format. For now anyway.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/confused.gif.e820e0216602db4765798ac39d28caa9.gif

First of all Pioneer has been running their top 2 or 3 decks for 2 years straight for a while. The 940 was the flagship for 2 or 3 years. The 860 and 960 were the top 2 for 2 years straight. The 980 and 880 are in their second year of being the top models. Its just how Pioneer cycles their head units.
In response to your post: Agreed. Unfortunately the the entire car audio industry is going (and has been going) in this direction. There aren't many SQ decks left anymore. Atleast NOT without paying an arm and a leg. Todays young crowd is into loud bass, (shitty quality) mp3s and convenience features such as bluetooth. SQ is NOT even in the equation to some people which is downright disgusting if you ask me. I never will understand how SQ isn't the first and foremost thing to some people. Oh well, home audio is under the same attack. Which is why DVD-Audio and SACD didn't make it as formats.

The old days of enjoying a high quality recording on CD are on their way out. I'm just glad that Iasca and Usac still judge with the CD format. For now anyway.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/confused.gif.e820e0216602db4765798ac39d28caa9.gif
I agree with alot of what you said but the quality difference between 256-320kbps mp3 and CD is barely noticeable unless you are trying really hard. I have ripped copies of CD's i bought, burnt them as mp3 discs and the quailty is not different at all. Decks that have good SQ are all over the place now days. You can argue all you like about how the Nak or the Denon head units have better SQ but how come nobody can explain how their SQ is any better? The only answer I ever hear on this forum is "The Nak is made out of really high quality parts." It has barely any features, a DAC that is no better than the ones on Pioneer/Eclipse, a S/N ratio that isnt on par with Pioneer/Eclipse, and a really weak EQ.....for $600. But all that aside. I too have a hard time understanding how people spend thousands on systems that are loud as all hell and not musical at all. I consider myself to be part of the "younger" crowd of enthusiasts. I have a few friends who seem to think the whole point of after market systems is to make something that can be heard from miles away.

I agree with alot of what you said but the quality difference between 256-320kbps mp3 and CD is barely noticeable unless you are trying really hard. I have ripped copies of CD's i bought, burnt them as mp3 discs and the quailty is not different at all. Decks that have good SQ are all over the place now days. You can argue all you like about how the Nak or the Denon head units have better SQ but how come nobody can explain how their SQ is any better? The only answer I ever hear on this forum is "The Nak is made out of really high quality parts." It has barely any features, a DAC that is no better than the ones on Pioneer/Eclipse, a S/N ratio that isnt on par with Pioneer/Eclipse, and a really weak EQ.....for $600. But all that aside. I too have a hard time understanding how people spend thousands on systems that are loud as all hell and not musical at all. I consider myself to be part of the "younger" crowd of enthusiasts. I have a few friends who seem to think the whole point of after market systems is to make something that can be heard from miles away.
With some units that are deemed "high end" alot has to do with the name brand mostly. Someone sees the Denon or Nak name and immediately think that those units "just have to be" of better sound quality. Truth is when it comes to these high end units it is BUILD quality that is more noticable than the sound quality. Mainly due to the fact that the SQ is determined by MORE than just the deck. It is the whole system which determines how good it will sound. If your system consists of "mediocre" to "good" components then the difference between a mid level deck to a high end deck will be very small. Now say you have a high quality system with every component in the system is top quality. The difference would be alot more obvious. Remember that the difference between a good cd player and a GREAT one are usually subtle. It is the little nuances and other low level sounds that become more audible than they were with the lower quality player. In short, it is the listener who decides which sounds beter. And it is also the listener that decides whether it is worth spending over a grand on a head unit. I did, (Pioneer P9 combo) and can't wait to have it running in my new car.

However, for most people it is like you said. Its more of a mindset that has diminished the TRUE high end car audio that once flourished in this country.

I remember when Alpine was considered "high end." If you had an alpine unit in your car it was..."ohhhhhh, aahhhh, you have an alpine." Of course that was over 20 years ago.

That said, the market goes where the curves intersect...not that I'm happy about that. But if the bulk of the market is after ave. SQ with lots of power and db, then that's where the companies will aim most of their products.

Personally, I'd rather have good SQ, decent power, nice appropriate bass and all very clean.

On the mp3/AAC vs. CD audio debate, I can tell the difference between 320kb and CD audio in my home, but in my car it's very tough to tell. I'm a musician (not my job though) and am pretty picky about my music too. Most people would probably fail the A/B test.

Anyway, I'd still like lossless support.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

myjaja

10+ year member
Audioque
myjaja
San Antonio, Tx Posts: 143,632 _____<^>*_*&l
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date