'61 Vette SQ, (NOT SPL) build plan.

Participant count
  • Participant list

BTLee

Slave to the Man
Denver
So maybe I should post each component in each thread, but since I'm building all at once I think it makes sense to discuss as a whole.

Body freshly reglued so blank canvas...

I'm pretty sure I've picked a good audio shop, but I'm also aware that each shop has loyalties and mfg deals that create biases on products recomended.

Ground rules:

Price not really an issue but I dont want to waste just for name if no better.

I am looking for CLEAN sound. Although my music varies I want to hear that walking bass actually change notes instead of just thump and I want to hear the finger slide on the guitar strings.

Although the car will be shown, all components dont need to "match"

What I'm thinking at this point (with ?'s and issues in parenth):

Cabin

Dyn Esotar II 3 Ways in the kick (I'm concerned about no passive crossover but sold on dyn)

Pioneer AVIC-Z110BT head

Sub Enclosure

Its in the top well, convertible top will partially cover subs when retracted and have lid deck over it top up or down...

The well is fiberglass so I could layer reinforce and use existing or build out with MDF or Plexi. (Fiberglass cover with subface cutouts is all that will be seen)

I'm thinking sealed to keep the bass tight (not thinking SPL... I'm thinking concert.) but if the top will muffle it too much anyway maybe port to cabin. (hmm. help here?)

Size of box will be aprox: 2.25 cubic feet (maybe SLIGHTLY larger)

So how about a Pair of RE Audio XXX 10"s, Orion HCCA 104s, or DDZ10's? (I like the 10 inchers)

Trunk

(will be setting my chair behind my car at the shows so...)

Another set of dyn esotar II 3 ways

and a Roadview RP200 16:9 20" raw LCD

Obviously I dont want either to play while trunk is closed so I need to figure a way to shutoff...

(use fader on head unit and designate the trunk as the rear?)

Power

Limited space (two seater convertible and need to maintain some trunk room)

Optima Yellow Top

4 Channel Arc SE 4200,

2 Channel Arc SE 2300,

OK Talk among yourselves. And tear me apart...

Cabin

Dyn Esotar II 3 Ways in the kick (I'm concerned about no passive crossover but sold on dyn)
I've been drooling over the dynaudio stuff for months, but I've never seen an Esotar 3-way setup. Hmmm, you sure it isn't the esotar midbass driver and tweet paired with a MD 142 or MD 140/2 soft dome? Either way, it's teh secks. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

RE Audio XXX 10"s
They get a mixed reaction from the guys on ca.com, but I love them. 2.25 cubes will not be enough space. I'd put some thought into doing a single 12" instead.

(will be setting my chair behind my car at the shows so...)

Another set of dyn esotar II 3 ways
I see no reason for this, but it's your money.

Optima Yellow Top
no

4 Channel Arc SE 4200, 2 Channel Arc SE 2300,
Gorgeous amps, but what about the subs & second set of comps in the trunk? They need power too. You're also going to need an alternator upgrade and several nice batteries.

if you want a nice SQ 10" sub with nice low bass extension that will work in a small sealed box and gets loud and clear you need one of these......//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

021.jpg

022.jpg

023.jpg

if you want a nice SQ 10" sub with nice low bass extension that will work in a small sealed box and gets loud and clear you need one of these......//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif
021.jpg
One day, when you least expect it, I will visit you. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/satan.gif.9c6a335ed7aeeed3ee273e573f1fcaac.gif

Yup. ID Max subs with the Arc SE amps and Dyn Esotar components would be ridiculous. You're going to have to start thinking about sound deadener too. This project is going to cost a fortune...
This project has already cost a fortune... whats a little more?

And thanks for the recomendations so far!

After review, the ID Max 10 D4's look like the right move (they each need 1 sq ft each so thats about perfect) should I split enclosure or just double mount?

While the CM UL10's are amazing they seem a little power hungry for my application.

I'll switch that out.

As for power I'm having trouble with the config.

I love the arc SE's and an Arc 4200 for each set of components seems about right...

but for the subs the 2150s are a little light even dedicated, and the 2300 is a little big for each and a little weak if shared... hmmm.

I had pictured one amp for the subs below monitor on back wall of trunk and then a couple amps for components on each wall. Again I need to reserve some trunk space (fuel cell occupies spare tire well) and I need to fit a small cooler, a couple folding show chairs, and a small overnight bag for my girls stuff.

As for Sound issues: Planning Squares on the outerdoor skins. inner skin completely covered behind door card. Spray on ceramic firewall, floor, and seatback. That covered with secondskin. Smaller squares in kick cavity with polyfill. Sub enclosure will be coated underneath (bottom of car and wheelwells) and then entire top well including underside of deck lid will be second skinned as well. (carpet over all) Same treatment in trunk, squares on quarters, trunk floor second skinned, plus trunk panels will all be leather wrapped over foam so that will mute also.

I was already planning on boosting the alt to a 200 (135 factory), but I thought for sure the single yellow top would be enough (will plug in if at extended indoor or run if out.)

next?

A nice size XS Battery from powermaster battery will be all you need.

For the subs, i think a little more power is better so you can make sure your not clipping. If you know how to set the gains you can put a 2000 watt amp on a 300 RMS sub.

After review, the ID Max 10 D4's look like the right move (they each need 1 sq ft each so thats about perfect) should I split enclosure or just double mount?
A single chambered enclosure should suffice. Adding a double baffle and a little bit of internal bracing is never a bad idea. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/fyi.gif.9f1f679348da7204ce960cfc74bca8e0.gif

As for power I'm having trouble with the config.I love the arc SE's and an Arc 4200 for each set of components seems about right...

but for the subs the 2150s are a little light even dedicated, and the 2300 is a little big for each and a little weak if shared... hmmm.
The SE 2300 isn't too powerful for a single ID Max. It does 1,300 watts rms x1 @ 2 or 4 ohms and the ID Max is rated for 1,000 watts. That'll work out just fine as long as the guy setting the gains is competent.

I had pictured one amp for the subs below monitor on back wall of trunk and then a couple amps for components on each wall. Again I need to reserve some trunk space (fuel cell occupies spare tire well) and I need to fit a small cooler, a couple folding show chairs, and a small overnight bag for my girls stuff.
A single subwoofer setup would give you a lot more space to work with. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/fyi.gif.9f1f679348da7204ce960cfc74bca8e0.gif

As for Sound issues: Planning Squares on the outerdoor skins. inner skin completely covered behind door card. Spray on ceramic firewall, floor, and seatback. That covered with secondskin. Smaller squares in kick cavity with polyfill. Sub enclosure will be coated underneath (bottom of car and wheelwells) and then entire top well including underside of deck lid will be second skinned as well. (carpet over all) Same treatment in trunk, squares on quarters, trunk floor second skinned, plus trunk panels will all be leather wrapped over foam so that will mute also.
Just wanted to make sure you were aware of sound deadening. A lot of clueless people come & go on this forum. After a while, you begin to assume that everyone is clueless.

I was already planning on boosting the alt to a 200 (135 factory), but I thought for sure the single yellow top would be enough (will plug in if at extended indoor or run if out.)
A single yellow top isn't going to be nearly enough, man. You're talking about running extremely high-end equipment. Supply that equipment with sufficient electrical please. I know alternators and batteries are boring, but they're necessary...

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.