6.5" installation question? Please help

Participant count
  • Participant list

Carnivorous18
10+ year member

T3h G33k
I got a set of ID ctx65cs. The plastic door panels on my civic are supposed to fit 6.5" mids, but the basket is just barely too wide.

Do I need to cut the panels so its open to the outer edges of the speaker?

Also can I bolt the speaker directly to the metal of the door with self tapping screws, or does it need something in between the door and the speaker?

Last but not least, does the speaker need to sit flush on the metal of the door? I wana finish this today all help is appreciated

some pictures would help me give you a better answer. but you could use some mounting rings to make the speakers sit flush and seal them off. or if it would be easier to do, just trim the door panels so that they can fit inside.

I got a set of ID ctx65cs. The plastic door panels on my civic are supposed to fit 6.5" mids, but the basket is just barely too wide.
Do I need to cut the panels so its open to the outer edges of the speaker?
If you don't care about putting your stock speakers back in this will work.

Also can I bolt the speaker directly to the metal of the door with self tapping screws
Yes. An alternative is to buy or make an adapter spacer that lets you install these speakers without any cutting of the sheet metal. You will still have to modify the door panel for extra clearance based on what you said.

Last but not least, does the speaker need to sit flush on the metal of the door?
Not necessarily. You need to have an airtight fit but the speaker does not need to be sitting flush on the metal. If there is another material sandwiched between the speaker and door, like the aforementioned adapter plate, that would suffice. I have seen non-hardening modeling clay used to fill a gap but I have not personally tried it. It wouldn't hurt to try it but it's not ideal.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.