lawlyes2007
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
I need some opinions between these four sets:

HAT Imagine

CDT CL 62 PRO

Morel Maximos

Morel Tempos

They will be going in a mazda 6. Mids in the bottom door and the stock tweets are in the door sail?

I'm not against mounting in a coax configuration just want the best sounding set out of these or something similar.

I do not have an amp picked out at the time.

thats a hard decision ,they all sound really good ,so i guess its would come down to budget ,for me.if you deaden your doors ,they'll prolly sound close to the same.

They will sound different. But it is not feasible to audition all in the same car. each tweeter is a different size, you may want to consider mounting the tweeters into your decision. Don't coaxially mount them, use the sail panel.

I was also in the same boat looking for a solid set of comps at that budget. If I had an active capable HU, I would have bought the HAT Imagines. The only reason I didn't was because I don't have active capability, and was worried about the tweets being too bright and not having a way to tame them.

I auditioned quite a few sets locally until I found a set that my ears liked. If you can, try to audition the sets before you make a decision. I found that "forum boners" that I read so highly of were nothing special to my ears.

I went ahead and bought the hats, now I'm in the process of installing them.

Do I need a baffle on the inside of the door to keep water from getting on the speakers or how does that work?

I was also in the same boat looking for a solid set of comps at that budget. If I had an active capable HU, I would have bought the HAT Imagines. The only reason I didn't was because I don't have active capability, and was worried about the tweets being too bright and not having a way to tame them.
You don't need an active head unit to run them active. Run the woofer with no low pass filter and the tweeter with a high precision 2.2uF Dayton capacitor inserted inline. This replicates the passive crossover of the Imagines. This is what I am running with tweeters mounted in door sails and it sounds good. I keep digging out and enjoying some older albums because they sound so much better now, even though they seemed like nothing special in the past. I adjusted the tweeter gains by ear until the high frequencies sound just right too me, and added time delay to the left tweeter and woofer with the stereo, the best I could to center the sound stage. The high pass filter on the woofers is 70Hz with 24dB (as recommended in the manual), the sub low pass is 50Hz @18dB, and I bumped 65Hz band on the EQ by 3dB. I would have replicated this setup gain. The speaker amplifier is MB Quart REF4.80 4x80watts.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.