6.5 coaxials

I'd lean towards the Polks if I was choosing between the two speakers you mentioned too.

I'd also recommend amping the speakers, no matter which you decide to buy. You don't have to spend a fortune on an amplifier, and it's really not that difficult to install a small amp somewhere out of the way. You could pick up a very nice 2-channel amp in the classifieds for less than $100 shipped...

^^^ x2 on the amp.
yeah, i'm going to be slowly upgrading my sound system but the speakers are going to come first. I'm in college and working a part-time job so it's going to be a work in progress over the next few years. But the speakers are a start! I was under the assumption that the Kappas are higher-end than the Polk (they are more expensive as well) but I'm glad to hear that I can save some money and get better sound! How about the Infinity 6032si, any opinion of those?

In my opinion Polk speakers sound better than Infinity. Granted, I haven't installed every single speaker that both companies make. I have installed the DB coaxials you're looking at (in my cousin's Versa), though. They're seeing 50 watts or so per side and he hasn't had any problems with them whatsoever. That's why I said I'd lean towards them.

And here's another option:

There's a guy selling a pair of Crescendo CCX65 components in the classifieds right now for $80 shipped. crescendoaudio.com is selling b-stock components right now too, but you have to call to get pricing. I'd expect them to be somewhere around $75 or $80.

A pair of 2-way components will give you greater upside if/when you do get an amplifier. The price difference between the crescendo components and the coaxials you're looking at right now really isn't that significant...even for a broke college student.

other than the infinity stuff ive never ran coax, so i cant say much else as far as they go.

i can vouch for those ccx comps, they are very solid for the price. i had them on a little over rated and they played really well. i lost a tweet do to a ground coming loose, but a good budget set of comps.

In my opinion Polk speakers sound better than Infinity. Granted, I haven't installed every single speaker that both companies make. I have installed the DB coaxials you're looking at (in my cousin's Versa), though. They're seeing 50 watts or so per side and he hasn't had any problems with them whatsoever. That's why I said I'd lean towards them.
And here's another option:

There's a guy selling a pair of Crescendo CCX65 components in the classifieds right now for $80 shipped. crescendoaudio.com is selling b-stock components right now too, but you have to call to get pricing. I'd expect them to be somewhere around $75 or $80.

A pair of 2-way components will give you greater upside if/when you do get an amplifier. The price difference between the crescendo components and the coaxials you're looking at right now really isn't that significant...even for a broke college student.
i know a component system is going to have alot more upside, but i feel like since i'm going to be doing the install myself, i don't want to have to cut holes in the dash and custom mount the tweeters, crossovers, etc. Maybe I'm wrong about the install but it seems pretty complicated, no? (by the way, I appreciate all the advice and expertise you are giving me!)

not much harder than doing coax just more to do really...

heck you can get a decent amp new for 100$ to push em.. and the crecendo Misfit mentioned wouldn't break the bank at all.. pretty cheap for a really good set of mids..

in fact if you get those mids i will sell you a good 100 x 2 amp new for 100$...

hmm... definitely alot to think about it. I'm still leaning towards the coaxials to be honest, just since that's what I know and I'm comfortable with and I'd probably go component next time around... I'm definitely gonna sleep on it a little bit and see what I should do.

not much harder than doing coax just more to do really...
heck you can get a decent amp new for 100$ to push em.. and the crecendo Misfit mentioned wouldn't break the bank at all.. pretty cheap for a really good set of mids..

in fact if you get those mids i will sell you a good 100 x 2 amp new for 100$...

i know a component system is going to have alot more upside, but i feel like since i'm going to be doing the install myself, i don't want to have to cut holes in the dash and custom mount the tweeters, crossovers, etc. Maybe I'm wrong about the install but it seems pretty complicated, no? (by the way, I appreciate all the advice and expertise you are giving me!)
The crescendo components can be mounted as seperates, but you'd also have the option of mounting the tweeter coaxially. That means the install could be exactly the same (except you'd need to mount the Crescendo crossovers somewhere, and you'd be using two runs of speaker wire from the crossovers). It's easy, man.

yeah, i'm going to talk to a few friends that have done stuff to their car and see if they can help me out installing this kinda stuff. I know I can definitely do coaxial speakers on my own. Also, my PT cruiser has very little room for the speakers, so I have to use a shallow mount option. I'll definitely keep you all posted on what i decide to do and how the final system turns out!

The crescendo components can be mounted as seperates, but you'd also have the option of mounting the tweeter coaxially. That means the install could be exactly the same (except you'd need to mount the Crescendo crossovers somewhere, and you'd be using two runs of speaker wire from the crossovers). It's easy, man.

yeah, i'm going to talk to a few friends that have done stuff to their car and see if they can help me out installing this kinda stuff. I know I can definitely do coaxial speakers on my own. Also, my PT cruiser has very little room for the speakers, so I have to use a shallow mount option. I'll definitely keep you all posted on what i decide to do and how the final system turns out!
It's a breeze, just be careful not to break the door skin or misplace the clips that hold it in.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

gonoles92

10+ year member
gonoles92
Tallahassee, Florida, United States
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from