40hz voltge tune not making sence to me

TDot
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Bronx
i got my dso nano, did my math and looking at the scope, matching everything up, got it set to just before clipping at 40hz(where everyone says to set the sine tone when tuning the sub). so now i throw in a song and i hear next to no bass, the sub (boston acoustic g3 10") is barely moving. when i think about it, i would think i should prob tune between 55-80hz because thats more so where a lot of bass seems to lie. whats the deal? help me understand.

i got my dso nano, did my math and looking at the scope, matching everything up, got it set to just before clipping at 40hz(where everyone says to set the sine tone when tuning the sub). so now i throw in a song and i hear next to no bass, the sub (boston acoustic g3 10") is barely moving. when i think about it, i would think i should prob tune between 55-80hz because thats more so where a lot of bass seems to lie. whats the deal? help me understand.
What tone did you use? What is your sub wired to? What amp do you have?

40hz test tone at 0db, sub connected directly to the alpine pdxv9 amp being fed by a RF 360.3.

The voltage I was looking for is 37v based on 350wrms (based on the sub since the amp is 500wrms). Even though the clipping based on the nano doesn't start until 43v. So I checked both and got the same result.

Yes.

I do understand why 0 shouldn't really be used due to clipping, but I just wanted to at least test to hear the max signal.

I tuned mine with music using a DMM. Tuned with various bass music that had a majority of frequencies ranging from 30-50hz. I'm giving 1100W @2ohms so that meant I was hitting max power at around 47v. And because the tracks I was using had a lot of notes that droned on for a bit I was able to tune with the DMM fairly accurately across a broader range of frequencies quickly. I know it's not the most professional and accurate way of tuning but it seemed to work out pretty well for me. And just cuz you tuned to max power with a 40hz droning tone doesn't mean your going to max it out with every song. I tuned with bass music to 47v but when I play rock and metal, even though it seems like its hitting really hard its only hitting about 20-30v so when I play that music I know I have some headroom so I just turn up the sub volume a few ticks on the head unit. Mainly once I tuned it with the DMM for a rough maximum I just use my ear and the HU to adjust the sub a little bit to bring it up or down (since I don't have a bass knob)

I'd set it with a 50hz -5 DB tone.
X2, I agree cos thats what I ended up using.

The problem you are having is due to the fact that music is not a constant sine wave, it is DYNAMIC and also that ALOT of music do not have 0db bass frequencies!! Well besides decaf's bass boosted stuff that is lol.

I had the exact same issue you had and ended up using the -5db 50Hz signal. Now the only thing is, SOME music MIGHT go into slight clipping, which is ok to an extent but dont over do it!

Also, do not use bass boost etc. Oh and another thing, remember to first check your input signal to the amp for clipping so you can determine which is your max unclipped signal - that is VERY important as well.

X2, I agree cos thats what I ended up using.
The problem you are having is due to the fact that music is not a constant sine wave, it is DYNAMIC and also that ALOT of music do not have 0db bass frequencies!! Well besides decaf's bass boosted stuff that is lol.

I had the exact same issue you had and ended up using the -5db 50Hz signal. Now the only thing is, SOME music MIGHT go into slight clipping, which is ok to an extent but dont over do it!
I don't think decaf music even hits 0db. I think its mostly -4 to -5db. Regular music will be as low as -8 to -11db sometimes I believe.

Not true, ALOT of music has the bass at 0dB or really close to it. I just picked a RANDOM track from his music and look at the frequencies....

Imaged.jpg

I can't see pictures on this site because.......... CORRECT!!!! no one knows and no one seems to care, that no one on a mobile has a functioning forum anymore.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

TDot

10+ year member
Senior VIP Member
TDot
Bronx
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date