4 re srx 15's or 2 OA 18's

jam3so3

Hey, I have 4 re Srx15d2's in a ported 14ft^3 box tuned to 33hz on 1500w rms @ 1ohm, and I was wondering if it would be worth swapping to 2 obsidian audio 18's? Would the 18's be louder and or have more sq? I want to maybe swap to the 18's because of box size, I would be building a 12ft^3 box tuned to 28hz if I got the 18's, what do you think?

Hey, I have 4 re Srx15d2's in a ported 14ft^3 box tuned to 33hz on 1500w rms @ 1ohm, and I was wondering if it would be worth swapping to 2 obsidian audio 18's? Would the 18's be louder and or have more sq? I want to maybe swap to the 18's because of box size, I would be building a 12ft^3 box tuned to 28hz if I got the 18's, what do you think?
not sure on the sq part but as far as being as loud or louder i would dout it will be louder due to the amount of cone area you have with the 4-15s vs 2-18s. the 4 15s have quite a bit more cone are then the 2-18s. so the 4-15s should be louder, IF the sq gets better with the 18s, im betting they wont be louder because of the cone area difference

Are you not happy with the 15s you have? Or just want louder? If I were you I would do 4 higher power handling 15s with more power.

I have 2 18s walled on 2200 now but I'm going to be going with 4 HDS3 15"s next. More cone area. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

I would say the 2 OA 18s would be louder IF you put more than 1500rms to the both of them.

not sure on the sq part but as far as being as loud or louder i would dout it will be louder due to the amount of cone area you have with the 4-15s vs 2-18s. the 4 15s have quite a bit more cone are then the 2-18s. so the 4-15s should be louder, IF the sq gets better with the 18s, im betting they wont be louder because of the cone area difference
Thanks for the input, I will probably just stick with 4 15's then. I was just looking to try something new.

Are you not happy with the 15s you have? Or just want louder? If I were you I would do 4 higher power handling 15s with more power.
I have 2 18s walled on 2200 now but I'm going to be going with 4 HDS3 15"s next. More cone area. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

I would say the 2 OA 18s would be louder IF you put more than 1500rms to the both of them.
Thanks for the input, I'm now thinking of swapping out the re 15's for some 600w rms Obsidian 15's and getting a second 1500w amp. I don't think I would want to put much more than rated to the obsidian 18's, I know people run the daily at 1k+ but I would rather not risk it. And yes I am happy with the 15's I have, but i would like it to be a little louder.

Thanks for the input, I'm now thinking of swapping out the re 15's for some 600w rms Obsidian 15's and getting a second 1500w amp. I don't think I would want to put much more than rated to the obsidian 18's, I know people run the daily at 1k+ but I would rather not risk it. And yes I am happy with the 15's I have, but i would like it to be a little louder.

Check these out. I was going to do 4 OA 15s but decided on these now.

SoundQubed HDS315

i wouldnt put more then maybe 1000-1100 to them unless you know what your doing....

i wouldnt put more then maybe 1000-1100 to them unless you know what your doing....
What I meant was more than 1500 for the pair sorry. I would personally run 1000 each to them. I still have my OA 12s.. Might have to throw them on the 2200 and see how they do.

What I meant was more than 1500 for the pair sorry. I would personally run 1000 each to them. I still have my OA 12s.. Might have to throw them on the 2200 and see how they do.
oh i see. i doing 2 18s and going with 3k before rise for the pair. after rise i should be ok that power

Check these out. I was going to do 4 OA 15s but decided on these now.
SoundQubed HDS315
I've looked at those Aq's before but I don't think I would be able to put enough power to them without having to do more electrical upgrades, I already did the big 3 with 1/0 and added a 250A alt with an optima red top, probably will add one or two more xs power or kinetik AGM's soon.

I've looked at those Aq's before but I don't think I would be able to put enough power to them without having to do more electrical upgrades, I already did the big 3 with 1/0 and added a 250A alt with an optima red top, probably will add one or two more xs power or kinetik AGM's soon.
And you will receive less bottom end with the AQ's vs. the OA's...much less actually. The Q alignemnt has to be through the roof yielding a very big spike in response followed by a steep roll off below the F3 of the system. Sure the larger 3" coil can handle more power. If all that you are after is power handling there are cheap 4" coil woofers on eBay that will fit the bill. AQ doesn't supply more than four or five T/S parameters so you can't effectively model their subwoofers [probably on purpose]. They use very tight suspensions, have high Fs's, steep roll off's, high Qts, etc, but with the complete lack of a full T/S list they make it very difficult to pin their woofers against the competition. Apparently you have to just go by what they claim without any actual data. Why not post the data? Are they afraid of the results?

We publish all of our T/S's. Where is AQ's full T/S list?

And you will receive less bottom end with the AQ's vs. the OA's...much less actually. The Q alignemnt has to be through the roof yielding a very big spike in response followed by a steep roll off below the F3 of the system. Sure the larger 3" coil can handle more power. If all that you are after is power handling there are cheap 4" coil woofers on eBay that will fit the bill. AQ doesn't supply more than four or five T/S parameters so you can't effectively model their subwoofers [probably on purpose]. They use very tight suspensions, have high Fs's, steep roll off's, high Qts, etc, but with the complete lack of a full T/S list they make it very difficult to pin their woofers against the competition. Apparently you have to just go by what they claim without any actual data. Why not post the data? Are they afraid of the results?
We publish all of our T/S's. Where is AQ's full T/S list?
Yea, when a company doesn't post all their specs it makes me wonder. I know this is off topic, but do you have any idea when you are going to release the obsidian amps, and what size amps will be coming out? I've just been curious becuse it's said no eta on the amps for quite a while and I will end up getting a bigger amp soon and I think obsidian would probably be a solid choice, thank you.

Hey, instead of starting a new thread I figured I would just ask the quick question here. I am ordering 4 obsidian 15's soon and I am not 100% sure which ones I need to get a 2 ohm load. I am pretty sure I need to get the d4's but I'm not 100% sure. I will be powering then with 2 apcl15001d's strapped togeather and need to get a load of 2 ohms in order to get the claimed 3krms out of the amps. Also a link or a pic of a wiring diagram would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

jam3so3

jam3so3
Boston, MA
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from
DoesDad