4.8V preout vs. 2.2V preout

pyrovtec

CA
I currently have a Pioneer DEH-P6000 (from 1999) head unit in my car, which has 4.8V preouts... my buddy just gave me his DEH-P7200 (from 2000) head unit he didn't need anymore, which has the 2.2V preouts...

While I'm using the built-in amp now, I had been planning on buying the Alpine MRV-F340 4-channel amp in the fall... my question is... do I retain my current head unit (which, admittedly, has a fading EL screen) in favor of the higher voltage preout, or do I go with the newer Y2K model?

Additionally, Alpine has a specification where the input sensitivity is rated from 0.2V to 4.0V. The head unit I currently have is the 4.8V. Will that mean that the amp is incompatible with my head unit??

How much difference is it in clarity between the two voltages? Is it really that big of a difference? Can amps take that high of a voltage? It seems like most head units these days are all 2V anyhow!

Thanks in advance! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Some head units go as high as 8 volts. The higher the voltage on the preout, the cleaner the sound transfer from the deck to the amp. That includes helping in resist electrical interference from the alternator, etc. Just b/c the amps gain goes up to 4 V does not mean that it is incompatible... it just adjusts itself within that voltage range. As far as your deck goes, thats a tough call. Since it is only one year's difference, I doubt the internal components of the deck are very different at all, in which case I would stay w/ the P6000. But if the OEL is fading, then your could try getting the new one, re-selling it, and get another newer pioneer w/ a 4.5 V preout:laugh: . I know the 7300 has a 4 V pre... you could prob get that deck for 2 or 250.

Yes, looking at the specifications, the only difference lies in the pre-amp output voltage. Everything else seeems the same internally.

The difference is only in the screen layout... I'm pretty much constrained to either my current P6000 or the P7200... budget for another head unit isn't really in the works.

Seeing this is the case, I think I will just keep my current head unit then.. perhaps I can order another faceplate from Pioneer if I send them my current one? The head unit's decent for my purposes after all.

could try sendin it to pioneer claimin faulty faceplate, but I believe the warranties on them are only two years... and since that is a 1st generation OEL, I doubt they would replace it for ya. Could always try though...

$150?! Christ! Now I'll really have to reconsider what I'm going to do! Thanks for looking up the price for me though.

What I may end up doing (and tell me if it's a bad idea), is going with the newer headunit (the 2.2V DEH-P7200), and getting a bigger amp (going with the Alpine MRV-F540 which kicks out 100Wx4 RMS @ 2ohms, instead of the MRV-F340 which is only 65W X4 at the same spec) to compensate. The price difference is about the same as the new faceplate for my fading screen.

the higher voltage will just give you a cleaner signal... if you dont have any interference then I wouldnt really worry bout it. 65 watts per channel should be enough though. thats pretty **** loud in any set up

What I may end up doing (and tell me if it's a bad idea), is going with the newer headunit (the 2.2V DEH-P7200), and getting a bigger amp (going with the Alpine MRV-F540 which kicks out 100Wx4 RMS @ 2ohms, instead of the MRV-F340 which is only 65W X4 at the same spec) to compensate. The price difference is about the same as the new faceplate for my fading screen. [/b]

Pioneer head unit Alpine amp!!! Maybe it's just my personal opinion but alpine and pioneer just don't jive together it's like oil and water!!

Originally posted by StallionAudio the higher voltage will just give you a cleaner signal... if you dont have any interference then I wouldnt really worry bout it. 65 watts per channel should be enough though. thats pretty **** loud in any set up
their isn't any benifit if the system didn't have noise in the first place

Originally posted by drasik

Pioneer head unit Alpine amp!!! Maybe it's just my personal opinion but alpine and pioneer just don't jive together it's like oil and water!!
Your right about it being an opinion. As this is BS. They are electronic parts. One puts out a signal and one amplifies it. It parts don't care what brand the other is.

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Thanks for the input! I'll be keeping my P6000 (w/ the 4V preout), and just relocating the head unit so that it's more visible.

hey chris229... thats y I said that if there is NO INTERFERENCE in the first place then dont worry about it. He could be lookin ahead to future systems though. also if you have a higher voltage, one could have the deck setting higher w/ the amp running at a lower setting and have the same effect as a deck w/ lower voltage and the amp runnin higher... just givin the newbie things to think about

Yup, Stallion knows exactly what I'm thinkin about! I have future expansion in mind; I like to build with "reserve capacity" so if I do end up going with bigger plans, I won't have to buy the same thing twice. (So you think 65Wx4 RMS is more than enough?)

Regarding interference though, I have no idea if I will have any or not. Since I'm using the built-in amp of the head unit right now, I won' t know if I will have interference until I install the RCAs and wire up the amp to the speakers...//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

But, I think I will stick with the P6000. Another thing that I had overlooked was the DFS alarm. The P7200 does not have it. Come to think of it, I don't think Pioneer even has the DFS alarms in their 2002 model-year lineup!

65 rms watts per channel is **** loud... especially if you dynamat the doors and back dash and everything. Makes a world of difference, it really does. Plus you could always bridge the amp to 2 ohms if it is stable for it, if need be (most likely not). Wait till you hear how loud 260 watts is in your car (plus your subs!). And if this is your first real system then thats a pretty **** good way to start if it is a good clean amp on some nice speaks. 65 will make 'em scream. I wouldn't really worry to much bout that DFS alarm though. If I remember correctly, a seperate adapter was needed to operate it (not sure though). It was a good idea by Pioneer that never really caught on. Thats prob. y they're gettin rid of it.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.