32 Hz vs 35 Hz (or else) ported box tuning for house music

Golitan11

Canada
I got one Alpine Type-R SWR-12D4 subwoofer and a Alpine MRX-M110 amplifier and I am trying to figure out which tuning would be the best for me (I am mainly listening to electronic music in general). I plan to have a 2 cubic feet box. Is it correct? What tuning is the best for this type of music? Thanks.

Going to give my personal opinion from the two boxes I built at these frequencies and say the 35 will output higher in the ranges you need. I also built these for lower quality woofers though, so I would get a few other opinions before making decisions.

depends on the FS of your sub, I personally like 33hz for all notes.
He wasn't asking your personal taste but an opinion for box tuning for a certain music genre. 33hz is too low for house music. You ain't gonna hear any thump on the kick drums on the up or down beats but a muddy mess on the exaggerated bass lines.

He wasn't asking your personal taste but an opinion for box tuning for a certain music genre. 33hz is too low for house music. You ain't gonna hear any thump on the kick drums on the up or down beats but a muddy mess on the exaggerated bass lines.
This part I can attest to. Even most dub doesn't even touch the 30s. The stuff that does is so complex that i'm not even sure some of these top of the line systems could reproduce the signal correctly.

You are correct, house music peaks at 40-45hz, I would tune to 40hz.

There is a lot of hip hop/rap that digs easily into the 30's nowadays. I would just stick with 35. I don't really see the point in tuning any lower unless you're like me and listen to nothing but c&s and slowed music that has consistent mid 20hz notes. So if you decide to play this type of music, with that 40hz port, you may as well be free airing the sub. The difference between 32 and 35 I doubt anyone could even point out by ear.

ive always tuned between 33hz and 26hz. played with higher tuning, but it didnt sound right to me. 30hz is almost my go-too for music, 26hz is for my home theater when its on video game or radio duty. personally, i would make an aero-port box ~2 cubes after displacements. then make 3 aeros out of PVC, one for 30hz, one for 33, and another for 36. after you figure out what one sounds best to you, get an actual aero from PSP or something.

Matt

I got the 2 ohm version and I used the plan that's 2 @ 32 for my type r. it sounds good but I listen to mostly hip hop/rap.. *drops .02*

I also put the port front sub up if that makes a difference

I have a ct sounds meso 12 at first I had a pre fab box that was tuned probably in the 40’s if I had to guess but it sounded pretty good but was a bit on the small end around 1.5 cu. So I ordered plans from the ct sounds website for a box that’s 2.0 cu. Tuned to 32 hz and now it really gets down in some songs but on regular music I don’t get much out of it like I should. What would be a good medium for all types music? Thanks

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...