3 speakers from 2 L&R amp channels...

miscreant

Okay. I have a 2 channel amp, 40watts x2 4ohm, or 60 watts x2 2ohm. L&R channel for my front components. Kenwood 5.25" in door, and tweeter in sail panel, on both sides. One channel on amp is powering Left components, other is powering Right components both at 4ohm through a 2 way crossover network.

I want to add a single center channel. I want to keep my balance control between left and right, but do not mind if the center channel is always left and right, ie. balance to right, center channel still outputting, balance to left, center channel still outputting.

How do I wire this to my amp, but still have the same wattage/volume in all speakers. My amp is stable to 2 ohm.

What happens if I wire both channels to the components and both channels to the single positive and negative on the center channel? Do I end up feeding the center channel twice the wattage?

First, an unprocessed center channel is of the devil. It will tend to wreck your imaging and staging.

Second, to get the same power to all 3 speakers you would need the center channel speaker to be a 16 ohm driver and then bridge the amp in a tri-mode configuration to that speaker and then run the components in stereo. The final load on the amp would be 2.66 ohms per channel.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.