2x12w3v2's in a grand am

Participant count
  • Participant list

atown
10+ year member

I'm getting ready to install and need to build some boxes. I was thinking 2 seperate single boxes so I want some opinions.

It's 2 JL 12w3v2 (4 ohm) with a JL 500/1 amp. And they're going into a 1998 Pontiac Grand Am. Does anyone have suggestions for plans to use? I've went through the threads and it's a little daunting, I don't know what exactly to look for.

35wx20dx16t.......... tuned to 35hz. contact mobieous, he can hook you up with a design... you should put them both in the same box.

Does it make a difference whether I put them in the same box or not? It was just very difficult to get the box that i have, and the box that his came in into his trunk.

pm'ing mobieous now, thanks

For ported you would want to use the same box, but for sealed enclosures, you can use two separate boxes, that is what I'm doing now and it works great. Even if you had them in the same box, each sub should be in it's own sealed chamber, if you are going sealed that is... so one box or two, it won't make a difference in sound.

For ported you would want to use the same box, but for sealed enclosures, you can use two separate boxes, that is what I'm doing now and it works great. Even if you had them in the same box, each sub should be in it's own sealed chamber, if you are going sealed that is... so one box or two, it won't make a difference in sound.
no, it doesn't

What's the difference that it makes to have 2 subs in the same box for ported instead of seperate boxes? wouldn't they be in there own chambers anyways?

I can't speak for the OP, but for my car, 2 boxes are easier to deal with than one large box. My trunk opening is very small, and it's difficult to get large boxes in and out. Plus, if I need to get to my spare tire, I have to take the boxes out of the trunk, and chances are I will be alone if this ever happens, and one large box with 2 heavy subs in a single box would be hard for me to deal with by myself, as I'm not a very large person, and I don't want to risk dropping the box and breaking anything. Plus it really doesn't take up that much more room, and adds only a small amount of weight, plus if I need more room in the trunk for luggage if I go somewhere, I can just take one of the subs out instead of both.

I can't speak for the OP, but for my car, 2 boxes are easier to deal with than one large box. My trunk opening is very small, and it's difficult to get large boxes in and out. Plus, if I need to get to my spare tire, I have to take the boxes out of the trunk, and chances are I will be alone if this ever happens, and one large box with 2 heavy subs in a single box would be hard for me to deal with by myself, as I'm not a very large person, and I don't want to risk dropping the box and breaking anything. Plus it really doesn't take up that much more room, and adds only a small amount of weight, plus if I need more room in the trunk for luggage if I go somewhere, I can just take one of the subs out instead of both.
Yeah that pretty much sums up my reasoning perfectly. thanks

35wx20dx16t.......... tuned to 35hz. contact mobieous, he can hook you up with a design... you should put them both in the same box.
so nothing personal to you bad @ss chevy, but I don't know anyone on here so I would like a 2nd opinion, should I stick with about these numbers? ported or sealed? or should I just talk to mobieous about this, I'm already talking to him a little

The opening is so small. It's a pain to get a box in there. I have a couple different boxes already and the biggest we could get to slip in was 13 deep x 27 wide x 13.5 tall

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

atown

10+ year member
atown
Taylorsville, UT
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from