2ch or 4ch?

Participant count
  • Participant list

jolly_26
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Hey Crew

Gonna go with a pair of 6" components in each door panel, wondering if there is any benefit of using a 4ch amp in this situation? If I buy a 2ch then I can wire down to 2 ohm and get the same level of power out of a cheaper amp, and still have a left to right split. Is it bad to wire components in parallel? Seems to work fine with coaxials.

Yes, I used the search bar, seems an obvious question but no one else seems to be asking it.

Cheers.

well usually your amplifier will have better sound quality, at 4 ohms. benefit is in some songs the rear speakers fire at different times like left, and right in acdc songs for example, then you can also run a 4 ohms load per channel.

two channel more power less moneyz

If you were going to go with a 2 channel, I'd go with a coax in the back, just so you aren't running mulitple passive crossover on the same channel. But I'd prefer to use the 4 channel, so that the rears can be adjusted seperately from the fronts, therefore giving you more overall control of the system.

more power less moneyz
I like more power less moneyz

better sound quality, at 4 ohms
but I also like sq.

What about a quality 2ch amp, would still sound good at 2 ohms?

Basicly which would you recommend for the best compromise between SQ and SPL at a low-medium budget, 2 or 4?

how much power are you looking for i actually have a cheap but decent 4 channel for cheap if you want one just pm me ill send you a link if your interested.

I like more power less moneyz

but I also like sq.

What about a quality 2ch amp, would still sound good at 2 ohms?

Basicly which would you recommend for the best compromise between SQ and SPL at a low-medium budget, 2 or 4?
SPL there isn't much of a difference, nor is their much in the SQ of the amp, but in the overall SQ of the system, the 4 channel will be better just because of adjustability.

If you were going to go with a 2 channel, I'd go with a coax in the back, just so you aren't running mulitple passive crossover on the same channel. But I'd prefer to use the 4 channel, so that the rears can be adjusted seperately from the fronts, therefore giving you more overall control of the system.
There wont be rear speakers, sorry if I didn't outline that as clearly as I should have. Just a pair of comp.s in each front door. So is it bad to run multiple passive crossovers from one channel? Because I still want it to sound crisp and clear.

how much power are you looking for i actually have a cheap but decent 4 channel for cheap if you want one just pm me ill send you a link if your interested.
I live in NZ, shippings a ***** so don't bother. For the record after about 150x2 or 75x4.

Out for dinner, I'll reply in a couple hours cheers for the fast responses!!

There wont be rear speakers, sorry if I didn't outline that as clearly as I should have. Just a pair of comp.s in each front door. So is it bad to run multiple passive crossovers from one channel? Because I still want it to sound crisp and clear.
Ok, thought you meant 2 sets of comps.

I would still go with the 4 channel, you could run it bridged at 4 ohms while using the passive crossovers, and then when you wanted to add on, or go active, you would still be able to do either one depending on the amp's crossovers.

I recommend the Elemental Designs Nine.4, can be had used for 120-150$, don't know what shipping runs though, so new is probably your only option.

Also consider going active, you only need an active 2 way crossover, and you can run each speaker off it's own channel, mids on the rear, tweets on the front. gives you much stronger midbass.

Ok, thought you meant 2 sets of comps.
I did, thats what I said in post #7:
a pair of comp.s in each front door
and in OP:

a pair of 6" components in each door panel
2 pairs = 4 comp sets in total = either 2 or 8 ohm wiring for 2 chan, and a 4 ohm wiring for 4 chan.

From what I'm gathering here though, even though somehow I have confused everyone, a 4ch would be the best option regardless?

Ed no longer sales amps... Some other company uses the exact same amps just rebaged though.. I run my 100.4@2ohms per channel and I did not notice any difference in sq vs running each channel at 4ohm... Op I run 2 sets of comps just active. If you plan on doing 2 sets then go with a 4 channel that can be ran active. Well worth the few extra dollars. madisound and partsexpress are your friends.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

jolly_26

10+ year member
Senior VIP Member
jolly_26
New Zealand
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date