2012 Dodge Challenger SXT Questions

Participant count
  • Participant list
Ok, top dawg, here's my final thoughts/setup/questions. Let me know what you think and thank you for all the help!
- head unit: love the price point of the pioneer fhx500ui, but it only has 2 sets of preouts.......im looking at the kenwood dpx300u for a few dollars more because it has 3 sets - if im hooking up a 5 channel amp (see below), won't i need 1 set for the dash speakers, 1 set for the door speakers and 1 set for the sub? the rear speakers can just be run off the head unit....i will not be keeping my steering wheel controls (extra $$ for kit)

- amp: 5-channel, either precision power p900.5, precision power i640.5 or kenwood kac 7005ps....all should match well with the 4 ohm speakers i list below as well as the sub.....question - max rms for the 3.5" speakers is only like 40 rms.....will that be a problem if the amp is 70 or even 100 rms or should i look for something (like the kenwood) that's around 40 rms?.......after further reading, i might very well go to the separate 4-channel and mono amp for the sub....i won't be installing anyway, so no need to keep it ultra simple anymore

- speakers: polk db 351 for dash, polk db 691 for doors and polk db 651 for rears....might go to the JBL GO line here if the $$ are significantly less.......or maybe even pioneer's lower to mid lineup

- subs: (2) image dynamics 8" regular subs, dual-voice, and will wire them for the 4ohms......quick question though that might have me change to wiring them to 2 ohm or even to Sundown depending on my amp choice - can i run 4 ohm speakers and then a 2 ohm sub on the same 5 channel amp if i decide to go that route? i've read you can.......i'll also get a custom box from ebay made for dodge challengers for this for my rear trunk

- installation - any idea how much this all might cost to install? i'm thinking, with wires, etc., $400-$500 or so

- challengers have a roughly 150-160 amp alternator......any problems running either a 4 ohm or 2 ohm setup with the above? do i even need the big 3?

that all sounds good. i would amp the door speakers and the rear speakers and then run the 3.5" speakers off deck power. then you will be powering all speakers properly. tune all to match the speakers powered by the radio. the radio will be able to power the small 3.5" speakers better than the larger rear speakers. then the doors and rears and subs ran off the 5ch amp will work great.

I agree with Boom Taco. Sounds good. I would also run the dash speakers off of the radio rather than running the rears off of the radio. Won't hurt the dash speakers and gives the rears more power. If you do choose to go with a monoblock for the subs, then i would try to get them wired to 1 or 2 ohms. Most amps are 1 ohm stable ( I say most with heisitation. Just do the research to be sure). As far as the alternator goes, the stock one should be OK. the Big 3 never hurts. I say if you have the extra wire do it. Word of caution though, the power wire is connected to a brass bolt going through the fire wall. This bolt is very fragile since it is brass. When I did my big power wire run I snapped mine in half. I just went to a local hardware store and got a replacement rod. The metal is not as conductive as brass but still works just fine. The fact that the battery is in the trunk can be a bit troublesome. I also kept the stock 2 gauge run and just added a 0 gauge run to it. If you wind up taking the wheel well of, those rivets are not reusable and have to be bought new. These are just some issues I ran into with my power wire run. Even if a shop is doing the labor, keep this in the back of your mind. I'll be a mean person and tell you if you tell the shoip before they do the work they will probably charge you for it, but if you wait until they are at the point of no return then they are almost obligated to buy the rivets to replace the wheel well. Just a thought. If I think of any other electrical issues I ran into I'll let you know.

Ok, thanks, guys! Topdawg, real quick - what about my head unit RCA question (do i need 3 preouts for my setup), and unning 4 ohm speakers with a 2 ohm sub on same 5-channel amp? That's the only info i need for now to make any final decisions.

Three sets would definitely be optimal. In regards to the five channel, it all depends on amp. Look to see what the sub channel is capable of as far as watts compared to the ohm load. As long as the amp says it can take four ohms in each speaker channel and two ohms on the sub channel, you should be good to go. Sorry I don't really know much about five channel amps

Hey, topdawg - any idea of the mounting depths i'll encounter for the dash, door and rear? I'm having real trouble finding anything on the web. Pretty safe to say that the polk db line (6501 components for front doors - i switched from the regular 6x9s and will skip the dash as well) - and 651s for the rear good to go you think? Is this usually a big issue for brands like jbl, pioneer, etc. should i choose to switch to something else?

You're going to be a **** sight far from what I suggested to you if you use 6.5s all around. I'm not knocking Polk speakers, but you're going to have less full sound and less output overall when you inevitably want to crank the volume to test the limits. I invite you to re-open our conversation. I can suggest a more affordable setup that can be expanded in the future.

Your suggestions for door and rear speakers totaled about $550. Im literally working with about $200 or so right now. If i decide years down the road i want something better, i would probably redo everything anyway. Good suggestions, just way out of my budget for the foreseeable future. I understand that i won't probably have something dynamic, etc., but a simple upgrade with some pop over the factory is all im really after. If this was home theater, i'd be looking at a Best Buy klipsch setup for me instead of, say, the non-best buy klipsch RF series from you. 2 comletely different price points, yet not even top of the line klipsch, which is their Palladium.

In either case, i do appreciate the feedback Trumpet - this is all so new to me, it's fun and frustrating at the same time as i week through all this info!

Your suggestions for door and rear speakers totaled about $550. Im literally working with about $200 or so right now. If i decide years down the road i want something better, i would probably redo everything anyway. Good suggestions, just way out of my budget for the foreseeable future. I understand that i won't probably have something dynamic, etc., but a simple upgrade with some pop over the factory is all im really after. If this was home theater, i'd be looking at a Best Buy klipsch setup for me instead of, say, the non-best buy klipsch RF series from you. 2 comletely different price points, yet not even top of the line klipsch, which is their Palladium.
In either case, i do appreciate the feedback Trumpet - this is all so new to me, it's fun and frustrating at the same time as i week through all this info!
I have a 6x9 2-way component set for $200. Skip the back speakers until you can spend another $100.

Mounting depth in the doors and rears is four inches. Not sure about the dash. I dont have any experience with polk speakers, except for the MoMos (their top of the line). Ultimately if you are getting this stuff installed by someone else, I would ask that shop if they carry any product that may interest you. Nothing against the dealers on here, I just know some people want to actually see the items. It can be hard to know just what you are buying before you drop the cash. if you know anybody with an upgraded system that you like ask them which speakers they have, and then see if they are an option for your car. Look at companies that are less mainstream and you may be surprised what kind of deals you can find. I know massive makes speakers, but i have no clue if they are any good. The more research you do, the happier you will be with your final product

Hey topdawg, do u know if all challengers have the 8" cutout in the rear deck for a sub? Im thinking they do, and in order to reach my budget, i was thinking of putting an 8" sundown or IE8 in there. Thoughts?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.