2001 Durango Higher Mileage

qtipextra
5,000+ posts

The Original
Well, I've been looking at the dealerships, and I have found one at a price I could actually afford. It's a 2001, 4.7L, 4X4, with 119,000 miles on it. The dealer's asking price is $8,700. I have taken it for a test drive and it seems to run great, shift great, the engine is really clean. Do you think it's worth considering with so many miles?

Please no hate in this thread. I don't want to see Dodge *****, or get this instead comments. This is a serious consideration, and I would like a few opinions on it.

Thanks

rofl how can you say that? any car will last if its taken care of. unless you know the previous owner, buying any used car is a gamble. may run well now, give out on you 10k down the road, or it may last 200k.

honestly though, are you going to buy or not buy it because of the responses you get on a car audio forum? it's your decision, make it for cryin out loud.

about the only thing i can tell ya is i like the way durango's look, and they pound, same as most any suv.

honestly though, are you going to buy or not buy it because of the responses you get on a car audio forum? it's your decision, make it for cryin out loud.
Yes, I know it my decision. This is only my second time buying a vehicle, and I want something to last. It would also be my first time financing. I am trying to get a few more opinions. They can be found with much lower miles for about $10,000, but I cant afford that yet. I'm trying to decide if I should keep saving, or get this one now.

And thanks for the great comments. It gives me something to think about.

As far as looks, I love them too! I am going to get a Durango (2001 - 2003) sometime, just don't know if this is the one yet.

Given the known history of those vehicles and their transmission problems, I'd say you are taking quite a gamble. However, common issues are just that; common. You might have found on that is just fine and still has a good amount of life left in it. If it shifts good and has no visible leaks, it might be fine. I'd say check the condition of the fluid... not so much to see the fluid itself, but one thing that happens pretty often is tranny fluid gets extremely old, and upon finally flushing it out for fresh fluid, the trans will begin to slip with the new fluid.

If you're dead set on a Durango, go for it. I won't try to suggest other vehicles that may or may not be more reliable or cost effective.

The price seems slightly above what I would be looking to pay for it. If that's what they're asking, then at the minimum get 'out the door' at that price.

Good Luck

i know you didnt want other vehicles recommended, but for comparison purposes, i bought my 98 eddie bauer explorer clean as hell inside and out with 48k on the clock, full time AWD, 5.0 v8, leather, power everything, sunroof, for just under 8k. has a little bit of rust underneath, but nothing a little elbow grease wont take care of. so far it hasn't given me a single problem, runs like a dream and is about to slam hard //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

Thanks. I think I have talked myself out of this one. Prices here in my area are higher on everything. I think I'm gonna keep saving my little $340/month income until I can afford something that I know will last. When I get there, I will be making a road trip to other areas somewhere where there is more competition. (My little town has like 7 dealerships, and each neighboring city has about 12-15)

look at the read end realy good i had a 2002 and the rear end was bad. When i got it fix they told me that they have been seeing a lot of them come in for rear end repair. But besides that it was fine

I would offer them the bottom dollar, around $7,000. I recently purchased 2 cars in the last 2 months and I got "a deal" on both. Thing is...be patient if you can...VERY patient. You prbably really like this Durango but drop all attachment. That is quite a lot of miles...but it could be 60% highway or more or even less. They are asking $8,700 I can not see the vehicle and am too lazy to go to KBB.com right now so I would do this. If I had a trade I would not even mention it...work only on the price of the car and work them until you really feel they won't go any lower. THEN, just when you got the price where its "reasonable" all of a sudden throw in your trade and do not accept less than $1200 more than KBB for it..I don't car if you had to tow that P.O.S. in if it is a P.O.S. Also, have them drop and DOC fees as they are a waste and have them throw in some free oil changes and a couple of details..I have done this on all of my new and used cars I have ever purchased. This is the point where you get to start milking them. THEN even have them present any service documentation and/or allow you to contact the previous owner. A free Carfax paid by them is definitely in order as well, I even have the dealer present me a Carfax on the new cars I purchase...I just like costing them more time and money. All in all..if you don't get the deal..there will ALWAYS be another...trust me. Hope it all works out. Take some pics and post...and with that much space a coupld of 15's might be in order. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Well, I've been looking at the dealerships, and I have found one at a price I could actually afford. It's a 2001, 4.7L, 4X4, with 119,000 miles on it. The dealer's asking price is $8,700. I have taken it for a test drive and it seems to run great, shift great, the engine is really clean. Do you think it's worth considering with so many miles?

Please no hate in this thread. I don't want to see Dodge *****, or get this instead comments. This is a serious consideration, and I would like a few opinions on it.

Thanks
I say save some more money and buy one with a few less miles.

I've seen them with no problems at 150K+...but you're looking to keep it a while so I'd try and find one with around 70K. You've gotta remember, if you keep it three years and put 36K miles on it..you're going to be at 155K miles, which will not help you resell it at all.

Ehh, used cars are a leap of faith, I just bought a used one again, with high miles

All I can say is if it's a $1,300 difference, just wait and save and get one with less mileage

CT

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.