20-pin ATX connector for speakers?

GCAdidas13
10+ year member

heh.
I'm trying to create my amprack such that when I need to move it, three connections can be removed and the amprack will come out.

(don't worry about it making theft easier... the bolts for this amprack will be well hidden.)

Would it be okay to use an ATX connector:

12-198-008-01.JPG

(after removing all wires and soldering to the actual pins inside of the plastic connectors)

to make all of my connections?

Basically will the connector pins create too much resistance/whatever to cause problems?

THX

Brian

I was seriously considering doing my 0 gauge, but i'm running

(2) PPI PCX2200

(1) PPI PCX4125

(1) PPI PCX440

so I think I'll be pushing somewhere around 300a as it is.

I've already ordered the ATX extender displayed above...

I will need to use 19 of these pins

Tweet +/- for L/R

Midrange +/- for L/R

Koda +/- for L/R

Subs +/- for two subs

One for remote wire

Two for fan +/-

And again, with the wire soldered directly to the pins inside of the plastic connectors, will that connector cause any problems?

Also I couldn't find any multiple-connection Powerpoles, Jack Frost.

Thanks

Brian

Why do you anticipate problems from that? It's just a connector. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Why do you anticipate problems from that? It's just a connector. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
cause the pin is like very freakin' small... like as small as 20awg wire or maybe smaller

that's all

brian, we use those 20pin molex's at curcuit city, they are used by METRA and they are used in the 'smartharness'. basically its a line of harnesses that have a vehicle->female 20ping, and HU->male 20pin.

what you can do, is cut that connector in half, strip, and solder to all your wires. use heatshrink - do NOT try and remove all the pins and re-do them. it will be a pain in the ass.

just cut the thing down the center, strip about 1\2" of insulation, insert into heatshrink, twist, solder, snip, and heat the heatshrink. do this to all the wires and you will then just be able to plug the two 20-pins together, and all your wire issues for the speakers will be done.

but you are going to want to use them big 4awg-0awg breakaway connectors for the power\ground. but as far as speaker\remotewire goes, that ATX connector is a great idea IMO.

but will it add any excessive resistance to, say, the subwoofer wires?

the ATX connectors are made with 18awg wire and the molex connectors have really small pins...

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.