2-channel amp for $150? Recommendations?

SiliconBadger

Hello, everyone. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wave.gif.002382ce7d7c19757ab945cc69819de1.gif I'm new to these forums, and don't know much about car audio, but I do know my electronics pretty well. Hopefully I won't be too much of a noob.

I have a '98 Mitsubishi Eclipse, with a new (low-end) Alpine head unit. Pre-outs run to an old 4-channel Alpine amp which was factory tested to deliver 62W RMS per channel. That is driving stock components up front and MB Quart RKC116 co-ax's in the back. The Alpine amp pre-outs were going to a piddly little Kenwood 25W x 2 amp which was pushing two 10" Crossfire2 subs in a sealed box. I know... I know.

Well, now the Kenwood's right channel is crazy, just sending static, so I bought a crappy little Sony Explode or whatever, 50W x 2 amp, and the input sensitivity doesn't have to be quite as low, but still lower than what I think the line voltage really is. I'm just guessing that the line voltage is 1V, because my head unit doesn't advertise the "4V pre-out" like some Alpines do. I wish I had an oscilloscope for quick testing of stuff like this.

So anywho, I would like to get a new 2-channel amp for these crappy subs, and I'm guessing I need about 100 - 150 W RMS per channel to get the sound I want. I don't need retarded bass, since I'm not trying to go deaf, or impress people from 2 blocks away. I just want a good, clean, balanced sound. Also, the Eclipse is like a bass cannon on wheels, so I don't think I need a whole lot of power.

I would like to be able to run the input sensitivity greater than what the line voltage really is, and from what I hear this just means you're not using the full amplification, and your amps tend to run cooler and last a bit longer this way.

The Kenwood was being run at an input sensitivity of about 0.2V, which I'm sure was causing a lot of signal clipping, but I wasn't able to tell from the sound. I've never had proper subs hooked up in my car, so I dunno. The Sony amp seems to make the same amount of noise at an input sensitivity of about 0.5V. All this would lead me back to the assumption that an amp rated at 100W RMS per channel would do the trick, but I think I'd like to get a 150 W / channel just to be sure.

Okay, that's all for me. If I'm heading in the wrong direction with any of this thinking, please don't hesitate to correct me. I'm here to learn right now. So, anyone got an amp in mind that would do well in this situation? Thanks in advance for any help! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Also, what are the pros and cons of perhaps getting a 1-channel amp, instead of a 2-channel, and using it to run the speakers in parallel for a 2 ohm load? Will I give up any noticable sound clarity as a result of both audio channels going to one channel and into both speakers?

Okay, I have a lead on an amp. I've been doing a lot of searching. I see some people posting that US Acoustics is a decent brand with good value. I found on Crutchfield a USB-2150 amp. 150W RMS x 2 into 4 ohm speakers. 3-year warranty. They're asking $150 for it, and shipping is free for all car audio orders over $100, so it looks like a good deal. I'd just like to hear some opinions about that. I really need to get this red X-shaped terd out of my car and back to Wal-Mart, so any opinions would be appreciated. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif Thanks!

Okay, I have a lead on an amp. I've been doing a lot of searching. I see some people posting that US Acoustics is a decent brand with good value. I found on Crutchfield a USB-2150 amp. 150W RMS x 2 into 4 ohm speakers. 3-year warranty. They're asking $150 for it, and shipping is free for all car audio orders over $100, so it looks like a good deal. I'd just like to hear some opinions about that. I really need to get this red X-shaped terd out of my car and back to Wal-Mart, so any opinions would be appreciated. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif Thanks!
Crutchfield is a rip off. US Acoustics isn't really a good brand either. I'm not exactly sure of what exactly the RMS wattage is on those subs either.

http://www.etronics.com/product.asp?icatid=308&stk_code=powspl21200&svbname=309

or if they can take 400 watts each

http://www.hookedontronics.com/show_product_details.jsp?cid=7494&c=0404DealTime&b=Sony_XM-D1000P5#sp

Also, what are the pros and cons of perhaps getting a 1-channel amp, instead of a 2-channel, and using it to run the speakers in parallel for a 2 ohm load? Will I give up any noticable sound clarity as a result of both audio channels going to one channel and into both speakers?
The pro's of the 1-channel amp are that you can get much more power for less money. You wouldn't be giving up any SQ either, as bass is omnidirectional to begin with.

Ya, I've heard some crummy things about US Acosutics amps like them blowin all their mosfets, capacitors, just a bunch of stuff.................

I've read and heard some things about USacoustics. But I will have to go on my personal ownership experience as well as the MANY positive reviews that get posted on the Internet. Amps I've owned are (2)DEI/Viper, (5)Usacoustics, (1)Power Acousticks. I have a friend that has a Sony amp.

I'm not downing anyone's suggested, but I would take Usacoustics over Power Acousticks or Sony any day of the week. If you are looking for a higher quality amp, http://www.sounddomain.com just got DEI/Viper 2-channels amps back in stock. $169. 125x2 rms or 400x1 rms . I've had this amp for four months. Great amp.

UPDATE: Though I will say that I like the older USX versions of the Usacoustics over the new USB versions.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.