2 8" aeros vs 1 12" aero

Participant count
  • Participant list

bgowdy
5,000+ posts

Heroes are remembered, but legends never die
Ok so im working on my box and i have the option to do 2 8's or 1-12" aero port for my box. Im not sure which will be the better way to go and i know they equal roughlly the same thing. This is what im looking at.

-2 Soundqubed SDC2.5 15s

-Enclosure will be 8 cubes(4 cubes per sub)

-Power for now 1600 rms(will soon be about 3k before rise and voltage drop aiming at 1k per sub)

Ports:

2 8" Aeros - 100.48 sq inches / 8 cubes = 12.56 sq inches port per cube

1 12" Aero - 113.04 sq inches / 8 cubes = 14.13 sq inches port per cube

The 1 12" will give me alittle more port per cube then the 2 8"s, also ive always seen and been told that less ports are more efficient.

What do you guys think?

[quote name='72Impala']Yes go with single aero over multiples. Almost always unless you will have loading issues with a large single.[/QUOTE]
@Boomsday;

yea im thinking thats going to cause loading issues. I went back and redrew up a design using a single 12" aero. On the inside of the box i will have 8inches between the port and the back wall of the box and then outside i think i would have like 6" or so inches between the port and the hatch. im thinking that would cause loading issues

[quote name='bgowdy31']@Boomsday;

yea im thinking thats going to cause loading issues. I went back and redrew up a design using a single 12" aero. On the inside of the box i will have 8inches between the port and the back wall of the box and then outside i think i would have like 6" or so inches between the port and the hatch. im thinking that would cause loading issues[/QUOTE]

Should be fine. I've seen plenty of vehicles with much less room and equally large ports that still get loud as fvck

yea im thinking thats going to cause loading issues. I went back and redrew up a design using a single 12" aero. On the inside of the box i will have 8inches between the port and the back wall of the box and then outside i think i would have like 6" or so inches between the port and the hatch. im thinking that would cause loading issues[/QUOTE]

Not at all, alot of people say that you need the equivalent distance to the size of the aero. That is more of a theory, not something that is set in stone since every build is different I like to look at the total distance in your case you have 14" total that should be plenty.

[quote name='Kangaroux']Should be fine. I've seen plenty of vehicles with much less room and equally large ports that still get loud as fvck[/QUOTE]
@Boomsday;

So with the amount of room that i have available you guys dont think there would be a loading issue?

Yes Boomsday i was going by the thoery of the size of the port, that is what was worrying me. outside the box i read it needs to be atleast half the size of the port or something. i just didnt want to create a issue

So with the amount of room that i have available you guys dont think there would be a loading issue?

Yes Boomsday i was going by the thoery of the size of the port, that is what was worrying me. outside the box i read it needs to be atleast half the size of the port or something. i just didnt want to create a issue[/QUOTE]

Crowding ports closer than 1 port width from anything will result in unpredictable results. I'd take that back to the drawing board. Personally I've had better luck going down on port area to keep adequate space behind the port than crowding the port for the sake of area.

You can always bring it out of the box a little or go slot port. Make the box longer and a little thinner to compensate for the port being too close to the back, Ect. You can make it work.

You can always bring it out of the box a little or go slot port. Make the box longer and a little thinner to compensate for the port being too close to the back, Ect. You can make it work.
yea i dont really have a way to adjust it at this point lol.... the length is maxed out lol. The height is not but i dont want to go to high to mess anything that way either. A few teammates were telling me that it would be ok this way just as Boomsday & Kanga said above.

[quote name='Kangaroux']Should be fine. I've seen plenty of vehicles with much less room and equally large ports that still get loud as fvck[/QUOTE]
@Boomsday; @72Impala;

ok so ive started on the box and i up'd the sized to 8.15 cubes net after displacements, using a 12"(it actually came out as 12.5") aero to give me 15.05 square inches of port. would that be to much aero port?

[quote name='bgowdy31']@Boomsday; @72Impala;

ok so ive started on the box and i up'd the sized to 8.15 cubes net after displacements, using a 12"(it actually came out as 12.5") aero to give me 15.05 square inches of port. would that be to much aero port?[/QUOTE]

No that is perfectly fine.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

bgowdy

5,000+ posts
Heroes are remembered, but legends never die
bgowdy
Campbellsville, Ky
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date