Votes: 4 36.4%
  • 2 8W7s

Votes: 7 63.6%

• Total voters
    Participant count
  • Participant list

rambassmachine
10+ year member

I currently have 2 jl 12w3s in a custom ported box in my single cab truck, and im very satisfied with their performance and they are decently loud (145.5 dbs on the dash - dont jump my a$$ if you dont think thats possible, i went to a store and they had a mike, dont know if it was the new or old one, but its a #). I though this was about the best set up i could fit into my truck, until i heard about the 8w7 and its shorter mounting depth. would 2 of the "heavy eights" out bump my 12w3s if the box was right? They would be running off the same amp my w3s are right now, a fosgate power 551s. is that enough power for the w7s, and how will a 8 inch sub sound compared to a 12, will the fact that it has a greater x-max than the w3 help it out on the deeper bass that the 12s put out? PLEASE HELP ME OUT, thanks for any help at all.

I currently have 2 jl 12w3s in a custom ported box in my single cab truck, and im very satisfied with their performance and they are decently loud (145.5 dbs on the dash - dont jump my a$$ if you dont think thats possible, i went to a store and they had a mike, dont know if it was the new or old one, but its a #). I though this was about the best set up i could fit into my truck, until i heard about the 8w7 and its shorter mounting depth. would 2 of the "heavy eights" out bump my 12w3s if the box was right? They would be running off the same amp my w3s are right now, a fosgate power 551s. is that enough power for the w7s, and how will a 8 inch sub sound compared to a 12, will the fact that it has a greater x-max than the w3 help it out on the deeper bass that the 12s put out? PLEASE HELP ME OUT, thanks for any help at all.
Xmax doesn't really determine frequency response. The 8w7 doesn't move nearly as much air as the 12w3, and that certainly shouldn't come as a surprise. The 12w3 has a huge cone area advantage, and costs quite a bit less as well.

I'd probably just get the 12w3s. Honestly, the 8w7 is a great speaker, but it really only make sense when space is really tight and you want a lot of output.

Now if you have the 12w3s sealed and you port the 8w7s, then they do have a chance of managing more output.

That's a fairly expensive upgrade though.

like i said, i dont know anything about the mic, and i dont really care about the #, thats not what the subject is here, bash it all you want to, i just want to be louder than i am right now, weather im hittin 120 or 170, i dont give a $hit i just want to be louder.....the numbers are irrelevant to me. f.y.i. the box gives each sub somewhere close to 2.25 a piece i believe and it is ported. the subs are running off a fosgate power 551s.

it appears the 8w7 is not a smart upgrade....what are some other subs that dont need too much space (id like to stay ported, the biggest box i imagine i could fit is around 4.75) and have a mounting depth of less that 9 inches? im workin in a single cab truck here so i dont have alot of options......

i sell jl where i work and my customers are eating them up the w3 line doesn't sell that much at all anymore

1 8w7 ported in a up to spec box or their ho box is just as loud and sounds tighter than 2 12w3's

god honest truth 500/1 is a good amp to use for two of them in a ported enclosure in a sealed enclosure you can put more power into them than the 500/1 message me if you have more questions or concerns. i am an authorized jl dealer so i get extensive training from jl

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...

About this thread

rambassmachine

10+ year member
rambassmachine
dallas area
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views