1988 Ford Taurus Wagon Build *PICS*

SSS 18734
5,000+ posts

Dollar Menu Millionaire
I thought I would share my current build with you guys. This box is designed to fit two Pioneer Premier TS-W2000SPL’s (The older version of the current 3001’s) in the back of my overly red Taurus wagon. The box that I built before was tuned too high for my liking, so I decided to make a new one. To maximize space, the ports will go over my wheel wells and the back is slanted to fit flush against the seats.

This box is 4.5 cubic feet tuned to 33hz with approximately 48 square inches of port. The design is mine, but I would like to give credit to IDSkoT for helping me with the ports.

Here is the design in Google Sketchup, which I learned to use just for this project. It really made the build a lot easier.

boxsl6.jpg

Necessary components for the job: The cuts and the beer!

boxbuildyu8.jpg

boxbuild2wn2.jpg

On to the step-by-step build. Base + Sides + Back + Bracing. Fairly straightforward.

boxbuild3rc9.jpg

boxbuild4ew8.jpg

boxbuild5oh3.jpg

The double baffle. The circles turned out pretty good with a jigsaw and the Pioneers fit perfectly.

boxbuild6hq0.jpg

boxbuild7mh2.jpg

Next I had to cut the base for the ports.

boxbuild10hg6.jpg

Test fit. My plan is going according to plan... w00t!

boxbuild8di1.jpg

In this case, a regular 90 degree angle would create far too much port noise. I had to make the ports rounded. To do this, I carefully cut out four quarter circles like so.

boxbuild12dd9.jpg

Obviously, you can't make perfect circles with a jigsaw.

boxbuild13zq2.jpg

Next, I glued and screwed them together. Once dry, I sanded them down smooth.

boxbuild14sp4.jpg

Not bad. During the turn, the port is actually about 1/10 of an inch smaller, but without precision equipment or even a router, I think they turned out pretty well.

boxbuild15ie9.jpg

boxbuild16dp4.jpg

The box after more sanding and silicone.

boxbuild18gv8.jpg

boxbuild19ki6.jpg

Ports primed and painted. Not the smoothest thing in the world, but I'm not too worried about it.

q9h034yd5.jpg

More gluing and screwing. Then some sanding and more silicone.

dsc03304rj1.jpg

Terminal cups. I didn't really want to use these, but I had them from my old box and wanted to get it done tonight.

dsc03305vz2.jpg

The subs. These look a lot better than the current model, IMO.

dsc03308gj7.jpg

Box in. Subs will go in tomorrow since I have to extend the wires coming from the terminal cups. Not quite long enough. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

dsc03307tx8.jpg

Stay tuned…

made a lot of extra work for yourself, should have moved the subs futher out to the sides of the box and ran a single port down the center. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/fyi.gif.9f1f679348da7204ce960cfc74bca8e0.gif

made a lot of extra work for yourself, should have moved the subs futher out to the sides of the box and ran a single port down the center. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/fyi.gif.9f1f679348da7204ce960cfc74bca8e0.gif
The box is only 16" deep at the top. I couldn't fit a big enough port there. To make it work, I would have had to extend the box out another 5 or 6 inches. Besides, boxes like that are boring :p

But your right; this box has taken a lot of time.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.