15" Quantum SPL vs. 15" RE *** w/ an overrrated amp?

zonecode88
10+ year member

I currently own a 2.3cf sealed box and a Visonik VK1600.1D amp...1600w RMS @1-ohm mono. I need a sub to complete my system. I read that Visonik amps only run at rated wattage @ 17volts, therefore the amp will, in reality, put out closer to 1000w RMS, instead of the 1600w RMS it is claimed to do. Taking that into consideration, how should I match a sub to it, wattage wise?

I am looking at two possible subs....

1. RE S.EX-15D2, which is 600w RMS, but experienced users claim it can handle 1000w RMS just fine, which is what my overrated amp most likely puts out for wattage anyways.

or

2. Quantum Q15D2SPL, which is 1500w RMS, and would be a better match if I could trust the 1600w RMS output claimed by Visonik, which I don't really trust.

I know both of these subs are performers, and also are within my price range. Considering my amp situation, can anyone suggest which sub might be a better match? Thanks.

Im guessing that amp does close to 600 watts so I would say the RE.
Thanks. I really liked what I saw from the RE-S.EX, so I'm glad you suggest it as well. I figured the amp was overrated, but you think it really only does less than half of rated wattage? I'll take your word for it, but I was hoping it would still equal to at least around 1000w RMS. Oh well, I'm sure it will still sound good. Thanks again for the advice.

Thanks again for the insight, Haze. I wish the amp had more balls, but it was free and so was the box, and it will be able to power a quality 15" RE. Considering all I have to buy is the RE, this system will be an awesome value that sounds good.

the quantum spl (older version) will handle over 2k all day long just isnt the loudest sub with 2k. the se wont handle 1k for long. ur best bet is 2.3cf ported and 1 12"...

I like the Quantum's power rating, but considering my crappy (so called) 1600rms amp only has 50amp fuse, I will come nowhere close to that. In agreement to what Haze said, the RE-SE would be a better match. I am going to try it in my existing sealed box which is 2.36cf. System isn't ideal but it should still bump, right? Worse case scenario, I just upgrade to a ported box to spec and better amp.

Another sub that would fit my application is the Incriminator LI-15 D2. It has the same RMS rating as the RE-SE, but I couldn't find recommended box sizes for it. Has anyone tried this sub in a sealed box? Mine is 2.36cf. Everyone always tells me to get a ported box... will no single 15" sound good in a sealed box or something? Would my crappy Visonik 1600.1D amp power the 15" LI well?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.