130 amp alternator, my next amp?

Participant count
  • Participant list

HawaiianHaole
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Delaware
I currently have a 400W Rockford Amp powering my 4 door speakers and a 400W MTX powering my two cheap Rockford subs. I plan to upgrade the subs in the next two weeks along with the amp to power them.

I checked my alternator (04 4Runner) and it is rated at 130 amps. If I keep the Rockford 400W powering my 4 door speakers, how large an amp can I get without worrying about needing to replace the battery or alternator. I figured I should, however, upgrade the electrical wiring.

I was thinking I could safely add 1000W or maybe 1200W but I am not sure. That will be a factor into which subs I decide to go with. I was thinking of getting (2) Rockford Punch HX2 or the RE HC's. But the HC's require a hell of alot of power.

Would I be able to run 1200 safely and would it be enough to power those beasts?

I am on a bit of a budget and am planning on $250-$300 for subs and another $300 for an amp.

I think I will also need to get a cap, some more 0 or 4 guage wiring and an upgraded fuse holder.

I am very interested in hearing some suggestions about what my system will be able to handle and some model recommendations as well.

Well first off don't waste the money on a cap as you won't need one. It just depends on what kind of amps and what class they are as to how much power it will draw. I have a 100A stock alternator with about 80A worth of fuses on my two amps and it doesn't drain at all. I would definately look into class D amps as they draw less and are much more efficient. US Acoustics sells a 800D and 1000D series that i think would fit your needs. You can check them out on http://www.thezeb.com You could add another 1000W on there as long as you dont use a high current amp.

I think 1200 would be a safe guess. It's entirely possible though, that you could add another 1800 or 2k before you exceed the capability of your alt. with daily listening.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.