+12 volt short!!

abl32
10+ year member

Please Help!//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/confused.gif.e820e0216602db4765798ac39d28caa9.gif

I was putting the +12 volt connection into my amp when it shorted out. Turns out it was frayed somewhere in the middle and the wire touched metal. Now, my HU wont turn on at all...no power, nothing...the lights on the face don't even come on when the headlights are turned on. (BTW, this is in a 2001 toyota 4runner with a stock HU)

Did I fry my radio? I looked at all the fuses and they're all fine.

any suggestions?

ummmm..... if the fuses are ok your HU should work unless they are the wrong size. Ide take it to a shop, although even if it isnt broken, they might tell u it is (with my expiriences)

Originally posted by mgaidica ummmm..... if the fuses are ok your HU should work unless they are the wrong size. Ide take it to a shop, although even if it isnt broken, they might tell u it is (with my expiriences)
Strange thing...I looked through all the fuse boxes and the HU itself, and there's no fuse for the radio. Oh well....I called up the toyota dealership and they said it could be replaced since its still under warranty. We'll see what happens....

sometimes there is a secondary inline fuse on the power lead of the HU. I know my head unit has one....so you said this was caused by a frayed wire? somewhere in the middle? a dumb question but did you replace that wire?

Yeah, the +12 turn on wire was frayed, and, like the dumbass I am, I had the radio on listening to music....the frayed part touched metal, and poof, my radio turns off and wont turn back on.

I called up the Toyota dealership, and they said it could be replaced if it was broken since it is still under warranty (of course, I didn't tell them why the radio blew out:D)

And, yeah, I looked through my manual, there's 3 fuseboxes, none of which have a radio fuse....and I couldn't find an inline fuse anywhere.

But, I took the 4runner to the dealership today, and they confirmed that it was fried, and they're ordering a replacement HU that should be in around 3 days or so. So, I'm just waiting for that now, so until then, no tunes:(

Oh yeah, I didn't replace the wire, I ripped everything out! I didn't want the dealer to see that I was doing a DIY installation of my stuff, which would prob void the warranty on the HU.

Since everything's out of the truck now, I'm thinkin about selling it all and just settling with an Infinity Basslink, just something basic that doesn't take up much room //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

call the car dealer again and ask them which fuse the radio is on. is usually on windows or accessories. replace it. its prolly that fuse.

I looked at all the fuses, they're all fine. Anyway, they're ordering me a new HU which should be coming in either today or tomorrow....so it's gonna turn out fine.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.