12" shiva sounding really bad cant figure out why

Participant count
  • Participant list

8inw7
10+ year member

Kansas
Hi, i have a 12" shiva in a custom fiberglass box with about 1.5 cubes stuffed with polyfill.

Im running it with a 340 watt mtx thunder amplifier. Ever since i hooked it up it hasnt sounded right. I cant figure out if the sub is blown, the box too small, or the amp *****. I used to have an ma audio 1889i that i ran it with in a huge ported box and it sounded great. I dont know wtf is the problem.

Here's the problem:

1) certain songs will sound good with bass on 3, while other songs will hit 10x harder at 3, and some too light at 3

2) randomly in the middle of songs, the sub will hit reallly hard for like 10-15 seconds then it will start hitting normally again. It also randomly hits soft for a bit then goes to really loud then normal and on and off randomly like that.

3) generally just doesnt sound good. It seems like the hits are late or something. It just doesnt sound right.

If anyone knows what it might be please help me out here.

hm. are they mp3s, or retail CDs? Sounds like fishy amp stuff. How's your electrical system? Loose wires? Maybe one of the knobs on your amp is acting up.

They are mp3s from a stock mp3 scion tc head unit. It's a pioneer.

No loose wires that i can find. I also thought it might be the amps fault but im not sure. i doubt its any amp knobs cause when i turn the knob the bass hits harder or softer.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

8inw7

10+ year member
8inw7
Kansas
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from