1 DD9515 vs 2 DD2515s

Gonna start on the box... Might have to use 1/2 in mdf for the bottom and top so its not so tall.

15-4cuft.jpg

dont use 1/2 u will be disappointed if you do. that 9500 will flex 1/2 inch mdf like crazy. i would fire the subs and port to the rear and move the box more towards the rear before i would use 1/2

Yeah, I'm not sure how much power you plan on using, but that sub is a beast. I'd be scared to use 1/2" on that. Even with good bracing you'll be taking up space than just doing 3/4"+.

Yeah i only have barely 17" height to work with to even get the box in my car lol small *** trunk openings. This box is just a daily cruise box i am going to run two 15s walled sealed from trunk.

Decided i will probably put 3/4 on top and just 1/2 on bottom for now. I'm running a soundstream 2500d to it right now but when i get both i will have 5k +

You made a good choice getting the single 9515, IMO. However using 1/2" MDF is a waste of that good decision. Having the 1/2" on the top, bottom, sides... doesn't matter, it will flex like nobodies business! If you can only get the 17" or for some other reason you can't use 3/4", I would highly suggest when you cut the 1/2" for the bottom or top, you then cut another 1/2" board that will fit on the inside of the side walls so that you are doubling up on the 1/2". Spread glued over the entire area, and screw it together with 7/8" screws. You will essencially end up with a 1" bottom, but not increase your total height. I would also suggest getting some 1" dowel and bracing running a couple vertically and one horizontally.

If you have a router, round over the port mouths (interior and exterior) and the port corner, put 45 degree bracing on all corners, this will help air flow and strengthen the box. Use the hell out of the glue!

the strength of the box is just as important as buying a good sub! You spent good money on a good sub, now do it justice by building a box that can handle it.

I hope I didn't offend, just my 0.02

Good luck

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah that was my plan to double it i know that sub is a beast i just serious space issues in my small car. Thanks for the info though this is a temporary box anyways until i order my second sub and build my wall

Yeah that was my plan to double it i know that sub is a beast i just have serious space issues in my small car. Thanks for the info though this is a temporary box anyways until i order my second sub and build my wall.

Found this build and i really like it. I may change my dimensions now

IMG00220-20100403-1344.jpg

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

loudbalt

10+ year member
loudbalt
Farmington NM
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from