1/4" MDF for ports?

SPLThunder
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
In order to make a large box in my trunk i need to make the slot ports out of something that is 1/4" thick. I think this is ok because they are just ports but i dont know what would be the best material to use becasue 1/4" isnt very easy to screw into. Is this ok and should i use mdf. Would glue and brad nails work better?

They are completly external slot ports.

Is 84^2 inches good for port surface area. The port velocity would be low enough but for SPL applications do i need to take anything else into account.

I don't know if ports have any real stress outside of their construction, so I can't really give much advice on that aspect... However, if you do end up using it, I wouldn't screw it in or screw it together, I'd construction adhesive. After my recent experience with the stuff (posted pics earlier; I had to completely destroy the front panel from my box to get it apart!), I'm a believer //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

the top and bottom of the ports will be 3/4" and the sides of 1/4" will be screwed into the top and bottom. It will help with some. The ports will also be pretty snug up against the side of the trunk. If they arent tight enough i could brace them with something else very small.

edit: 300 POSTS.......BONG //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/cool.gif.3bcaf8f141236c00f8044d07150e34f7.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.